Rant: Nikon, Video, and why, why why????

I've been doing some promotional video projects recently and finally decided it was time to let the HD camcorder go and move to a DSLR for video. I was tired of fighting with the lack of manual controls and such. So I purchased a Nikon D5100 for the specific purpose of shooting HD video. Big mistake. Seriously Nikon??? Would it have been that difficult to include manual shutter and aperture modes for video? Maybe a histogram? Yes I know there are workarounds but they are all rather clunky and in all honesty, I shouldn't need to "work around" the lack of a rather simple and obvious feature.

I know the D5100 is a low level camera but I don't think I'm particularly asking for a high level feature. The equivalent Rebel's have allowed this for as long as they have been able to shoot video, and I think that is exactly what I will be replacing it with. In fact, that may just become the first of many pieces to be replaced by Canon gear. I'm really starting to wonder lately if Nikon is really putting any thought into their products, or listening to their customers when they design them. I know they have been selling products but lately I believe it's in spite of their product, not because of it.

/rant

Nikon seemed late to the video party vs. Canon, who seemed to champion the feature. I've gotten the impression it's almost an afterthought with Nikon to include video in the DSLR line. "We'll give you something, just not a lot."

On the pro side, Nikon has caught up somewhat. On the consumer side, not so much.

Plus, you know, a better video cam probably would have been better than a still camera, that can also do video. Just as a rule of thumb.

Mirrorless cameras are way better hybrid video bodies. I'd look into a GH2 or similar mirrorless camera. You can use your Nikon glass with an adapter and just MF focus.

No DSLR can compete with a dedicated HD video camera for quality of video. Yes the lenses for DSLR's are better and a DSLR sensor is bigger, but that only matters for depth of field, not the quality of the video itself.
Just my opinion.

Well, I had a pretty good camcorder. Not a "pro" model but pretty high up int he consumer class, possibly prosumer. And it did shoot great HD video, but I'm not looking to do "camcorder" style video, I want shallow DOF, manual follow focus, interchangeable lenses; basically everything a DSLR does. Are there camcorders like the NEX-VG20 that do all of that? Sure, and if I wanted to spend $2k+ I could have also purchased a D600/800 or 5DMkII/III. But that's not where I'm at right now financially, and frankly I shouldn't need to just to get basic features.

My rant really goes past this D5100, it's kind of the straw that has broken the camels back with Nikon. It started with their policy of not selling repair parts any longer. But with the new model releases in the last few years I really question Nikon's overall commitment to building worthwhile products anymore. When the D3 and D700 came out they were game changers that rocked the industry. Now it seems they happy playing second fiddle on virtually every model they offer. Aside from the outstanding D800, I can't see one single thing that Nikon is doing better than most of the industry at the moment. In fact, I'm really at a loss to see what they are doing much better than they were doing 5 years ago. A mirrorless system with mediocre controls and an abysmally small sensor while the rest of the industry is at M4/3 and larger. Lack of a high end DX sensor body to replace the D300s. The D600 which has the most eclectic feature list of haves and have nots that I cannot even classify where the camera is supposed to fit into the lineup. And not in least they are letting Canon mop the floor with video from DSLR up to 4k and pro level video gear, like the C100/300/500, not to mention dedicated cine lenses.

I've been a devoted Nikon user for some time and I love my D3 and glass, but they really need to get on the ball in addressing what is happening in the market or they'll quickly find themselves too far behind to catch up. They'll also find themselves losing market share. Honestly I cannot see a single good reason for someone starting in photography right now to get on the Nikon path.

I've been a devoted Nikon user for some time and I love my D3 and glass, but they really need to get on the ball in addressing what is happening in the market or they'll quickly find themselves too far behind to catch up. They'll also find themselves losing market share. Honestly I cannot see a single good reason for someone starting in photography right now to get on the Nikon path.
Good reasons or not, I would say large percentage of first time DSLR buyers are more influenced by prices, marketing, and spontaneity. I think the ones that really do their homework before whipping out the wallet are giving M4/3 a serious look.

I was tired of fighting with the lack of manual controls and such. So I purchased a Nikon D5100 for the specific purpose of shooting HD video. Big mistake. Seriously Nikon??? Would it have been that difficult to include manual shutter and aperture modes for video?
So you bought a camera without checking to see if it has the features you want? Why, why, why?:rolleyes:

So you bought a camera without checking to see if it has the features you want? Why, why, why?:rolleyes:

Because having manual exposure controls for video is like a new car coming with tires. There is just no reason for it NOT to be there. Thus the whole point of my rant.

Because having manual exposure controls for video is like a new car coming with tires. There is just no reason for it NOT to be there. Thus the whole point of my rant.

I think we're all just saying that you got a very basic still photo solution expecting it to do semi-pro level work in its secondary function. And without doing any research beforehand.

I knew that D51 could do video, to some hd extent, but it was hardly a focus in this camera. That's why I got it.

Good reasons or not, I would say large percentage of first time DSLR buyers are more influenced by prices, marketing, and spontaneity. I think the ones that really do their homework before whipping out the wallet are giving M4/3 a serious look.

Yes & the new Panasonic GH3 is supposedly better in video than their Canon competing GH2 was!

I do not understand your post/rant :smile:, you did not research the camera before buying? You did research and now you are unhappy with Its ability/lack of options, and you blame Nikon.:confused::rolleyes: This rant would make far more sense if you had not bought the camera, and were just discussing their lack of proper controls.

I do not understand your post/rant :smile:, you did not research the camera before buying? You did research and now you are unhappy with Its ability/lack of options, and you blame Nikon.:confused::rolleyes: This rant would make far more sense if you had not bought the camera, and were just discussing their lack of proper controls.
I can agree with that. I research everything before buying. Plus it is a still camera first, and a video camera second. If I wanted to shoot video then I would get a dedicated video camera that had a Nikon mount. I know they are out there.

Again, I never bothered to check because I never expected Nikon to leave such an obvious feature out. Back to my buying a car and expecting it to come with tires analogy. I mean, it's an SLR! You're supposed to be able to manually control everything. That's the point!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom