<Rant>The new Google Maps app...</Rant>

Sucks. 'My maps' are gone, offline caching has been crippled, local search and navigation are degraded, the large text and measurement options are gone, and (at least in the UK) the colour scheme has changed for the worse (e.g. B-roads are no longer a different colour to unclassified roads). Any 'improvements' seems to be trivial (slightly prettier appearance, etc.). In other words, pretty much like the equally bad new desktop version they're inviting some people to try. I've switched off automatic updates to keep the old version, which currently works as before (though Latitude is about to be killed off). Don't fancy 'upgrading' the Gmail app, either, which has some sort of annoying colour-coded pre-sorted multiple inbox thing, and various other regressions. What is it with Google these days? - every product change seems to be aimed at dumbing things down, or second guessing our choices (poorly), or shoving Google+ down our throats. Even their search engine is a pretty blunt instrument these days.

'Mixed reviews':

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GoogleMaps/posts/4Cm8CfXz2qS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps&hl=en

Then again, they do care about your privacy. That's why they have Google+. Nobody looks there, not even the NSA.

Then again, they do care about your privacy. That's why they have Google+. Nobody looks there, not even the NSA.
Now THIS is perhaps the most:
1. interesting
2. funny
3. on point
4. hilarious
5. subtle
6. crack-me-up

post I have seen in a LONG time.

:biggrin::biggrin::eek::eek:

+2,534,986,934,485.158.086

I had to sign up for google+ just to be able to download a video from the track to youtube.:rolleyes:

I had to sign up for google+ just to be able to download a video from the track to youtube.:rolleyes:
Yeah, when it gets that it just means that I won't be using that feature or app. I will not be forced to use a srvice I don't want to use. I remember a while back iHeartRadio required a Facebook account to sign up. Well, I don't use iHeartRadio since I don't have a Facebook account.:biggrin:

JPS

Absolutely agree on all said above !

Also, I don't understand why Google is going to stop iGoogle !?! I have been using it for years as my Internet "opening page", and have added a few "gadgets" I use everyday, like different METEO places, 3 newspapers, etc....

Now, in november (or is it september?) all this will be gone and we will have to find another search engine that provides an "opening page", like it or not.... but hey, as Google is free.... nobody has the right to complain !

:frown:
J-P.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom