1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rapid fire on D700 - 9-10 fps without battery grip

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by tfboy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tfboy

tfboy

Aug 22, 2008
    Berkshire, UK
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but I've been playing around shooting on the D700 and have found out I can get a much faster frame rate using the single shot and having a trigger-happy finger than using the Ch mode.

Without the battery grip, in Ch mode, you're limited to around 5fps. But in S mode, it fires as fast as I can fully press the shutter release button. And this is without resorting to tricks such as the Func + Bracketing thingy on the D300. :biggrin: I reckon I hit around 9-10fps and whether you're shooting in jpeg or RAW seems to have no effect, other than the limitations of flushing the buffer to compact flash.

I then tried this on my D200 and it doesn't work - the camera only fires a shot every "now and then" and certainly doesn't keep up with my repititious trigger finger.

Of course, I don't expect it to be continuous focus during this extreme rapid fire, but may be handy in static situations :smile:

Anyone else come across this before?

2. I just tried it out...wow. I need to work on my trigger techniques now:biggrin:. I wonder if it can be done with a remote switch as well...

3. Interesting - but why would you want 9 fps in static situations?

Seems to me AF-C is key for rapid fire action sequences...

Cheers

Mike

4. Are you sure the camera is focusing at these high rates?

5. I tried this but I have to be stabbing at the shutter button to be faster than the regular 6fps.

6. LOL, this is funny. I did not try it.

7. tfboy

tfboy

Aug 22, 2008
    Berkshire, UK
    I don't know if it is focusing. When I meant "static", I meant action shots where the subject's distance isn't moving. Somebody mentioned a heron tossing a fish it's about to eat as an example :smile:

Not sure of the use to be honest, but was pleasantly surprised when I found out, knowing that it didn't work on the D200.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Is this due to some unfortunate medical condition? How on earth are you abke to vibrate your finger so fast? In fact, I don't want to know.

10. tfboy

tfboy

Aug 22, 2008
    Berkshire, UK
    OK, maybe not 9-10fps. My excitement saw the better of me. :biggrin: But definately faster than 5fps or whatever the figure is in "normal" rapid fire.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.