Raptor ID help, please.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, May 31, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I shot this image this morning, it certainly appears to be a juvenal, but I don't know what species.....Red Tail? Your thoughts?

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Frank,

He seems to be saying 'Hi!' to you ...... seems to be a 'southpaw' too :biggrin::biggrin:. Cool shot. Where did you see him?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I found this guy in a tree in Lombard. No adults anywhere around, just this guy.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Doesn't look like a redtail (look at the tail, it's not red!). Looks like a Cooper's to me.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I hope to get more shots in the coming days and I'll post them so we can ID this bird. Thanks for taking a look.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Coopers Juvi type

That's what I think
    Nice catch !

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Ben...and hopefully more images to follow.

8. Nice shot Frank. A Coopers does have that look but they are pretty big. I would say it is a Sharp Shinned hawk.

Here is a comparison to one of mine:

original.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Gordon. Thanks for posting your example.

10. Frank You got a young Cooper. The Sharppy has a square tail and is much smaller than the cooper. Plumage is similar but size and tail quite different.
    Cooper is up to 20 inches in length while the sharppy is more to 14.
    Also if you see it again try to take notice of the size and the legs as the sharp shinned isn't called that because he has feathers over the shins:biggrin: Really the tail and size is all you need. Good capture BTW
    Lou

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the input Louie, I'm learning alot from all of this birding stuff. I hope to get some more shots real soon.

12. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    You have an adult hawk. The young of both the SS & C are yellow or yellow/green. They are a pain to ID for me. I have a stack of good raptor books open in front of me and I am not sure. The Peterson Field Guide "Hawks of North America" I think is the first one to buy, the most bang for the buck. There are lots of others and each has its good points.

13. I still think it is a Sharp Shinned hawk and base that on the apparent size of the bird. It is almost identical to the picture that I posted and mine was relatively small. The Cooper is much larger and I just happened to have one in the same vicinity when I was out shooting that day. You will note the longer tail on the Coopers as well.

Here is the Cooper's:

original.

Another Coopers shot on a cold morning so he is all fluffed up. Note the long tail:

original.

14. I think Gordon is right. A Cooper hawk is taller and has longer tail. This one is about 3 months old.

Also, the Ā«stripesĀ» on a young Cooper's breast are dark brown not yellow-brown like shown in Frank picture and the eyes are yellowish-grey.

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Many of the Illinois birders that I associate with via e-mail say that my bird is an adult Cooper's Hawk. <shrugging my shoulders> I dunno!:confused: