'rare'[?] 500mm F5 Nikon lens worth anything?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Desmond, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Someone has been trying to sell one of these locally claiming it is worth US$4000-6000 since only 300 were made . He is trying for about $2500 and I'm wondering if anyone here considers it worth something .
    This is what he states :
    "
    This lens was introduced in 1952 and according to Robert Rotolonis book "Nikon rangefinder" only about 300 were ever made - making it one of Nikons rarest lenses. At around 19 pounds (30 including the box) it is also one of Nikons heaviest lenses.
    I have had this lens cleaned by Auckland Camera, I have been told that the lens is scratched. The body of the lens also has a number of scratches. Which would be normal for examples of something this heavy and old.
    Comes with Lens hood, F adapter and hand crafted wooden crate with lock but no key.
    According to the McKeown's Price Guide to Antique & Classic Cameras
    The 500mm f5 black is worth between $US4000 - $US6000 with original wooden case.
    From around the lens.
    Nippon Kogaku Japan no.647120
    Nikkor - T.C 1:5 f =50cm "

I'm not allowed to post links to an auction so if anyone is interested in the link pm me .

2. I used to own this lens !! The exact one !!
    Post me a link...

3. Why bother unless you like collecting old junk. I'd rather invest that money towards a 500mm f/4 AFS-I and have something I can actually use.

4. I'm not bothering :smile: I just thought it may be of interest to someone here with too much spare money :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.