Rare giant birds seen in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

OK I lied. But how else could I get all you Vierans to take a look? :rolleyes:

Gordon

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey I'm not a Vierans ! (is that bad :smile: )
    Well I looked anyway and glad I did
    very nice, sharp and detailed
    well done little birdies

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow those are fantastic.

Great job Gordon. :>))

4. VERY TRICKY Gordon, But hey whatever works, glad I looked.
    Dave

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Gordon, you don't have to trick us to get us to look at your pics. The first looks like the focus might be on the shoulder instead of the eye, but the rest are some of your very best. D2X / 200-400VR I assume?

6. Very nice the shots of the finches are fantastic keep them coming

7. Very nice indeed. I am sure glad I looked.

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Ben. Thanks for the nice comment. No, it's not bad to be a Vieran. Great folks, in fact. It's just on the days when I go out and can only find a couple of finches and woodpeckers while they post gazzillions of wonderful pix of birds in the wetlands that I get just a wee bit jealous......

Gordon

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale!

Gordon

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey, sometimes ya gotta be tricky in life! :cool: And anyhow I'm just having a little fun with my friends near Viera. Hope you enjoyed what you saw. I had fun taking the pix.

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank. I wasn't trying to trick you. Only having a little fun - and showing just a touch of jealousy. :smile: You are right about the shoulder focus on the first guy, but I liked the image enough to throw it in anyway. Thanks for your comments about the rest. You're right about the camera, but not the lens. The 200-400 doesn't focus close enough to use in the blind I was in, so I put the 300/4 to work. It would have been great to have your 300/2.8 and see what difference is noticeable under these conditions.

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. I felt I just had to get a few shots like these posted before you begin you annual "pix out the front door" series. :smile: There is a nice blind at a wildlife preserve about 20 minutes from home, and I'm going to spend some more time there.

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Jim!

Gordon

14. You pulled me in and I'm glad I looked. Great pictures.

15. OK, I'm self confident enough to admit...I don't know...what's a Vieran??

virion....no.
    apiarian ...no, but I like the honey.
    veiner...no.
    vern...sometimes.
    virgo...virgin?...virile...ah-ha...
    aviary...my dad had one.

Vieran...huh?

I give.

16. Great shots, Gordon. Glad to see you're feeling better and getting out. Won't take offense to the Vieran comment~I'll just post some more birdy shots to make you even more jealous!!! :Crunk: :wink:

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Louis. If you read the whole thread I wasn't really trying to pull people in, but I'm glad it's worked out that way. My real purpose was to have fun with the Vierans. See my next post to find out what they are.

Gordon

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Vernon -

Good tries! And funny. There is a place near the Kennedy Space Center on the east coast of Florida called the Viera wetlands. Actually it's a water (Waste? I'm not sure which.) treatment facility that consists a number of large impoundments. It's bird heaven, and therefor photographers' heaven too. The folks who live nearby, plus a couple of regular visitors, are the Vierans. (One more visit and I'll be one too.) They are regular posters and super photographers.

Gordon

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Kevin. I love seeing Vietan shots, so you keep it up too. Hopefully I'll see you in February. My back wasn't too stressed sitting on a bench in a blind for these shots.

Gordon

20. Officially named the South Central Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility Constructed Wetlands System?
    I see why Viera is the prefered moniker!

Ah-ha. Thanks.
    http://www.cfbw.com/news502.shtml