Rare NJ Black Vultures Part Two

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Hi All!
    I mentioned in a previous post that I would return to this rare black vultures nest here in New Jersey this morning, none were to be found but I did remember the park ranger revealing that the vulture nest was below this brick shack with the absent roof shown in photo 1. I gradually creped forward to the brick shack, I didn’t want to stick my head down there but I did stick my camera down there and as soon as the vulture heard my D70 clicking away they were off to the tree above. All four of them! The whooshing sound of these guys flapping there wings flying to the tree above was simply amazing.

I hope you enjoy…constrictive comment are always welcomed.

Shots using: D70, 70-200mm VR, 1.4 TC, SB-800, Sunpak TR-2000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Anthony! Those black vultures may be rare in NJ, but they're rather common here. A couple of yours look like juveniles - note the light tan feathers around the head while others have the ugly black skin there. I watched a pair raise a juvenile around the pond behind my home all summer. The juvenile is just starting to lose those tan feathers now. They can be very interesting to watch! Again, great shots!

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice series Anthony
    good find on your part, looks like a great area for photo ops
    Like em all, I'd be real happy to find an active nest area like this !!

4. What a unique looking bird and being black not the easiest to shoot, you did a great job, wish you had a little longer lens :rolleyes:

5. Great shots; especially the ones that had the wings spread!

6. Thanks for all the kind comments! I got lucky with this find.

Anthony