Rare NJ Fledging Black Vultures

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Hi All!
    I was out photographing warblers that are migrating in my area here in New Jersey before heading south and as I was leaving this park ranger ask if I would interested in seeing a pair of black vultures nesting. Well YES, of course, we drove to the nest and wow I’ve never seen a vulture before in the wild, in fact these are very rare here New Jersey. It was extremely cloudy and the dense trees above made it difficult for me to hand hold my Nikon 70-200 VR attached to the 1.4 TC and get a sharp picture. The ranger also told that these fledging vultures will be leaving the nest very soon. The parents were out hunting for food. I’ll stop by the nest tomorrow (Saturday) with a tripod and my SB-800 for additional shots and post them here.

Thanks for looking!
    Anthony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Anthony :

Very, very nice work to get these shots ! I've seen my share of vultures, but never fledglings. I'll be keenly awaiting more shots.

John P.

3. this really is an unusual find Anthony. Take advantage of the opportunity to take more with the additional gear you mentioned. I will look forward to them.
    Dave

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good shots Anthony. That must have been a thrill spotting those fledglings. I have never seen one before and the pics excite me.

5. Beatiful shots. In is always rare to get the young especially for a bird like these :cool:
    The birds not so much so they fall into the "face only a mother could love" catagory but then again the same as been said for my face :biggrin:

6. Thanks for the kind response. I can’t wait to get there Saturday! I plan on hanging around the nest for the money shots and I’ll post them in a new thread here when I get back.

Anthony

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Darn cool shots Anthony! Were they down close to ground level? Looks like you're level with the bird the 1st shot in particular. I'll look for some other shots later on!

8. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nice shots Anthony. Those vultures almost look attractive.

Neil

9. Hi Steve! The vultures were about 15' above me.

Anthony