Rare Treasure Seen at Hagerman! (3 pics!)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Well, dunno how else to put it! We drove up to Hagerman today and the Ranger told us about a sighting of a duck that usually isn't seen in these parts. There's only been 3 sightings of it, and WE GOT THE FIRST PHOTOS! Now I know why longer lenses are wanted! This was shot with my 300mm afs f4 with the 1.4 TC attached. I'm really wishing I didn't have to crop so much! GRRRR! At least we got it!

Surfer Scoter!
    466399818_e4991c0aa2_o.

View attachment 91652

View attachment 91653

2. great catch Dianne. I have never seen or heard of that species.

3. Thanks, Dave! We hadn't either until the Ranger showed us a picture in the bird book! I have a wonderful opportunity to go out with some volunteers and while they catalogue or document critters, I can photograph them! Well, next problem is what lens should I RENT! I feel soooo Blessed that we found the duck! We had circled several times not knowing it was a diving duck! It stayed under water more than on top! But, while it was under, I set up the tripod and started wishing for longer glass! GROAN!

4. A Surf Scoter is very rare for your parts. Usually found on the coast and then breed in northern Canada. Great captures.

5. Thanks Sandi! I was reading about the scoter in my birdbook and thought how Blessed we were to see such a bird! Now, I gotta save up for some serious longer glass! GROAN!

6. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great shot Dianne! I saw one this winter way inland from its usual range. Your shot is much better than mine.

7. Thanks! It was tough getting that birdie! He loved diving! I think I need longer glass now! :eek: :rolleyes:

8. That is rare find Dianne

Great job on getting any picture!!!!

9. Thanks Gary! I'm wishing for longer glass now! I hated having to crop so much! The Refuge definitely wants the photos, just hope when I take my CD to Wolf, they'll print out to at least a 4x6.

10. BryanSpeed

BryanSpeed

Feb 20, 2007
    N. Texas
    Congrats, Angel!

11. Thanks! I just wish I could have been using a longer lens! Man, cropping is a killer at times!

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Big crop or not, nice work Dianne.

13. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Now your getting shots of rare birds comon,what is next MAYBE more glass way too go Diane as Frank said heck with crop you still got it. :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

14. Thanks Frank! At least I had the sense to use my tripod and shoot like mad! I shot 35 pics of the same bird! Altogether I got 48 pics today - low average for me considering where we were! We were just too excited over the scoter!

Thanks Tim! yeppers, I'd love to have longer glass! BUT I'm gonna settle for renting when I need it. And yep, I'm happy that I got the photo! That was one dive-crazy duck! LOL!

15. I understand your problem completely - because I'm in the same situation :biggrin:
    You decide to buy a 300mm lens, which is more expensive than any lens you've ever bought, and you take better photos than you've ever taken before - but you're still not satisfied because you want a longer and even more expensive lens. And what's really scary is that you know that if you go for it and buy a 500mm lens, the same thing is going to happen and you'll soon want an 800mm . . .
    I've only ever seen a surf scoter once, but it's a really cool duck - even when it's been cropped :wink:

Alan

16. Thanks Alan! I'll most likely rent a bigger lens. Just gotta figure out how big I should go. I'm enjoying my photography more and more because eng45ine has been helping me - I've learned how not to blow my highlights and how to better operate my camera! Frank is an awsome teacher!

17. Great capture, Dianne. And congrats!

18. Thanks Phil! We were so excited to find the duck! The Ranger forgot to tell us that the duck likes to dive alot. I got about 35 photos of it! Just wish they could have been closer!

19. What a neat looking duck, Dianne! You did great with capturing him, too! I've never heard of this species -- Google, here I come! LOL!

20. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    How cool is that? I've never even heard of that duck, let alone see one. Sounds like you had a great day. No birdies for me today. Don't know where they all were. Maybe the hawks were hanging around somewhere that I didn't see them.