Critique Raspberry Streusel Bars

Though the food turned out exactly as described in every step of the recipe and as the photo of the finished product in the recipe book displays them, neither my wife nor I was thrilled by these bars. We gather that this kind of bar simply doesn't put an extra kick in our step. If you like this type of snack or dessert, go for it!

Recipe
Raspberry Streusel Bars | Cook's Illustrated
Requires free registration for a 14-day trial
By the way, the photo at the website isn't as appealing to me as the photo in the recipe book.

Setup
The tabletop is a red, silk pocket square draped over a serving dish. Its hue was changed during post-processing. A small continuous-light lamp lit the scene from the front right area. Another one on the left lifted the shadows on that side of the scene.

Mike 2019-03-17--004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
The presentation is excellent, Mike. I love the garnet colored cloth under the bars and the pops of blackberries and raspberries intermingled with the streusel. Sorry you and your wife didn't care for it. I think I'll pass on this one - I'm not a huge berry eater and raspberries and blackberries aren't favorites of mine at all.

The photo, however? Marvelous!

As Lyndee says, the presentation -- and the photo -- is fine, but well, not particularly appealing to me, not at all to the point that I would think, "ooh, I must try that!" No offense, but personally, I wouldn't eat that..... First of all I don't like Blackberries, so a big "minus" there, but I absolutely adore Raspberries and my preferred way of enjoying the latter is to just sit and eat them all by themselves, not as part of any other dish. Ditto for Blueberries and Strawberries, for that matter..... I like 'em natural, just the way Nature intended. All three, but especially Raspberries, are a favorite dessert. No fancy embellishments or special recipes needed.....just the wonderful berries themselves.

Last edited:
Thank you to Glenn, Dave, David and Binnur!

is it a good thing or a bad thing there is a bakery up the street?

A couple years ago when my wife and I were on vacation I announced to her first thing in the morning that I was going to do our daily grocery shopping that morning rather than wait until the afternoon as usual. I didn't announce to her that the basis of my decision was that my first stop would be for a breakfast pastry at the local bakery. The bakery was actually on the first floor of our building immediately below our second-floor rented apartment. I couldn't resist the aromas! I didn't confess until later that night that I had eaten a pastry that morning...without her.

Thanks, Ken!

my preference would be for a different color of background. I would like more contrast between the color of the fabric and the color of the berries.

I agree that that would also work very well. I make those types of decisions mostly depending on the mood I'm in at the time. This time I was in the mood for a similar rather than a contrasting tabletop color.

Beautiful Photo Mike. Raspberries are my favorite, we had some growing in the yard, a neighbor who gardens suggested I trim them back and my trimming killed them. Luckily, folks at the farmers market sell them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom