RATS D2H failure...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by mike mac, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Pulled out the camera this afternoon to snap some shots of swallows and it is not metering just stuck at f 7.1 1/20s change fstop shutter doesn't not move tried S mode and P mode...no luck did set exposure to M and manually set it, but sure looks like the meter crapped out.
    I am sort of glad since I know now it will be repaired and good for a long time, bad news is tomorrow night is prom night and Sunday night 5 rows from the field for the Phillies. Looks like the D100 comes out of storage to shoot these events

2. That's kind of funny Mike as I am sitting here hoping mine will go out while it is still under warranty. You were always excellent with your D100 so I don't think you will miss a beat.

3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, sorry to hear that Mike!! :( :( :(

4. how many shots on it Mike? I'm closing in on 8K. Wonder when mine will go. Glad I kept the D100 as backup. 8)

5. Harris
    About 15,000 shots or so

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harris,

You got yours after the problem was found. With any luck, yours won't fail.

Mike,

When did you get yours?

Just FYI for everyone that has (or might have) this failure, the problem as I understand it, is that the AF control board has a chip mounted in a socket that can pop loose, so it isn't really related to number of shutter actuations, but rather just a matter of how tightly pressed in the chip was. The fix is to install an AF board with the chip soldered in.

Frank

7. Exactly Frank and I have heard that they repairs are t tracked through, my problem at the moment is Lorrie cleaned and now I cant find the sales receipt. Have to get one from the shop where I bought it, I bought my camera Sept 2004

8. I'm headed to Alaska this summer and I'm deathly afraid that mine will go at the worst time. I'm bringing the D100 as a backup.

9. Hi Mike,

So sorry to hear about H. At least it is still under warrenty so the repairs won't cost you a dime. Since your work is totally awesome which I have admired for a long time, I'm sure you can still make the D100 steam.

I'm still scared about all of the things going wrong with the X. I don't want to send mine in even though I still have the Fuji S2, however this is the very reason I kept the S2. Sure wish I could afford another X for backup but no can do :lol:

Let us know how it all works out for you and if the store can still give you a receipt.

10. All of the reports I have heard regarding D2H failures of this type are that they have been repaired free even out of warranty. That is the goods news.

Send it to the Torrance facility, they seem to turn repairs around very quickly. My first repair, June 2004, I sent the camera on Tuesday overnight. Mr UPS showed up at my door Friday morning of the same week with my repaired camera. Last fall the meter went out, I sent it off the day before Thanskgiving and had it back the end of the following week.

I receommend calling the repair facility either the day they receive it or the following to get a repair tracking number. In both cases the snail mail with the number showed up at my door after the repaired camera came back. Also, write as many details as possible in a letter to them with the camera, in mine I asked for quick turnaround if possible. Sure seemed to help me.