Rats!

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Aug 1, 2007.

1. I hadn't planned to photograph rats, but when I visited a nature reserve on Sunday I messed up my only chance of a decent bird shot. On my way back I had a look at the bird feeding station behind the main building: there weren't many birds, but scavenging the seed that had been dropped were three large rats (common/brown/Norway rats). They were deep in shade, but quite at ease, so I could shoot at ISO 1000 by sticking my 300mm lens through one of the viewing slots in the screen that separates the visitors from the feeders.

LeightonMoss004_118.

In front of the building, there is another feeder beside the disabled car park. A family of people were watching a family of five young rats clearing up underneath it. The light was better and the little ones were cuter than their elders, so I spent a llittle more time shooting them. They were quite jumpy, but very easy to photograph as long as I stayed still.

LeightonMoss004_334.

LeightonMoss004_351.

LeightonMoss004_448.

Alan

2. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Although I think these guys are cute, you are gonna have a tough sell here. Maybe you could PP some fuzzy tails on them and call them squirrels?

Nice shots. Somebody's gotta clean up!

3. Hey NG putting fuzzy tails on them as they would then resemble the American Wood Rat and he is on the Endangered Species List.:biggrin::biggrin: Hey check it out
    Lou

4. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Nice shots Alan, last time i got a shot of a rat was while shooting seagulls! I dont think you ever plan on it :)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shots
    Cute as can be:>)))

6. They say that in any UK city you're probably no more than 12 feet from a rat (I dare say it's much the same in most cities around the world). At least these guys are relatively clean-living country rats.
    My philosphy is simple; if I see something that might be worth shooting while I have my camera handy, I'll shoot first and ask questions afterwards. I don't have to like rats to find them interesting and worth a few photos.

Alan