1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ratty lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bill N, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Looking around at the "buy it now" items. Saw this ratty looking 50mm AF lens for $35 and fell in love!:Love: Works 100% as it should. Filter ring broke so the guy filed down what was left and super glued and empty filter ring so now it will take a filter and lens cap. White out splattered on focus ring?? Nicks and scratches to body. A little paint missing here and there. Did I mention it works like new!:biggrin: I love cheap things that work like they should. Maybe that is why I drive a 65 VW around.:tongue:

My little $35 wonder...

DSC_6779.

View attachment 221641

If I could my whole bag would be full of cheap beat up Nikkor glass that performs as well as this one! Any others care to add photos of equipment that looks like it shouldn't be worth a nickle? Feel free to add a photo or two. Regards, Bill

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i think Glenn has u beat with his old 180 2.8

3. Bill N

Bill N Guest

That might be true, Mark. His was da rat for sure! I'll have to get a couple snaps of the lens in daylight to show condition a little better. Nothing more professional than a felt pen used to cover super glue. My flash technique needs some practice. I sure don't have to worry too much if it gets banged around in my camera bag.

4. Never mind the lens, Bill...I want a '65 VW! :biggrin:

5. That's great

You realize your car is older than me...

I had a 69 VW Beetle converted into a Dune Buggy once - paid $1000 for the entire rig and when I was done with it - I sold it for $200 ... That was a hell of a fun car... it really handled well too - keep in mind it was shorter than a regular VW Beetle by 20 inches...

6. I would love to get my hands on a older VW Beetle, sure they might not be the car of choice for alot of people but I think they are great!

As for the lens, it is always fun to find items that are good solid deals, like this one.

7. It's a sweetheart banged up lens, but for $35 more you could have bought a near mint clean D version.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Great find Bill! I love cheap stuff that works well too! :biggrin: Not ratty but definitely cheap, I'm happy to report that on the first real outing with my 18-55VR it seems to be even sharper than the previous versions, and the VR system works great! 1/5s at 55mm was no problem for me. Next I'm contemplating one of these BGN rated 28-200G's I see on KEH to try out on my F100 for a whopping $129, and I'd love to try a beater but optically great 35-70mm f/2.8 too. Looks like these are getting snapped up though - tough to find these days.

9. 180q

180q

Jan 6, 2008
    Northeast
    Here's my $99 180/2.8 AIS. I love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Chad

10. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    Any samples with your ratgear?

11. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Da Rat AF 180 wide open at f/2.8 (ISO 3200):

[​IMG]

And stopped down a bit to f/4.5:

[​IMG]

Da beloved Rat AF 180 itself:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:Love: :Love: $99 :Love: :Love:

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

man that's an ugly lens ..lol

amazing 3200iso photo there Glen...can't wait for the 700 to get on the shelf...;-)

13. Bill N

Bill N Guest

My VW is older than my wife! I just love my bug. Still has that VW smell (some will know what I mean), doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fill up. I get an honest 40mpg to and from town. My Ford 4X4 pickup doesn't see much use in the warmer months.

14. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I've got a 18-55vr, Steve. Amazing what I can do with shutter speed with the lens. If I get a good wall to lean against I can get a fair amount of keeper at 1/2 second in bursts with the little bugger. For $150 you can't go wrong!
    As far as the 35-70 f2.8. I just had one delivered today FedEx that I purchased from Debbi here. Holy Crap! (as Frank would say). The thing is like brand new! I almost feel guilty about what is going to happen to it over the next few years. I have had this model over the years. My fav combo was this lens on a F100. This one is going to stay in my bag this time. I might just have to scratch my name in the side of it so I don't ever get the urge to sell it!!!

15. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Brilliant Glenn!

A new class of lens here... Da Rats!!

16. Bill N

Bill N Guest

There ya go Chad! Great price on some great glass.

Kind of like my VW. My wife keeps asking when I am going to paint it. I keep telling her that it won't run any better or do anything else better with new paint. Why spend the money?

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats on the 35-70 ...think mine will find a lot of time on the new d700:biggrin:

18. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY

Nute,

Yeah, not too shabby for being a simple audience shot.

It's gonna take weeks and weeks to get the constant smile off your face after you get the D700. Your wife might start to wonder . . . . :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  19. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Thanks, Bill.

You'll get greater enjoyment out of your Rat knowing you saved it from the trash heap.

I had a 71 Super Beetle. Loved it even tho it was that safety orange color. Darn heater kicking on by itself and staying on was the only quirk that bothered me. I think it was a design defect as my buddy with a 67 Beetle had the same problem. Well, I guess the entire car rattling above 75 mph was also less than endearing. Still, it kept me alive despite a direct head-on collision during my foolish college days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  20. Great lens, looks VERY similar to one thats still on ebay at the moment HERE, ending in 12 hours. I was bidding, then realised, id rather wait around for a cheaper new something else. Ebays a great place, hope you enjoy your cheap purchase for years to come.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.