Raw Conversion for D200??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SilverEagle, Dec 5, 2005.

1. I'm concerned that Raw Conversion for the D200 will not be available in my Pixmantec Raw Shooters Premium software for a while. Does anyone know what conversion software will be available for the D200 when it is released, hopefully the middle of this month?

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Trial version of Nikon Capture 4.4 comes with the camera/
    I think the trial version is good for 30 days then you pay $90 for the code.
    If you have NC 4.32 then the download is for free.
    Download will be available before we get the camera.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I had not heard that the D200 will not be compatible with versions of NC prior to 4.4. I can get the free upgrade, but is this true, that you MUST use version 4.4 for the D200?

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

According to info from Nikon -- you need NC 4.4- and the upgrade from
    NC4.3.2 is free.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks....this from the Web:

"Version 4.4 of Nikon Capture will be required to process the D200's NEF files. Third party RAW converters will presumably also be updated with D200 support. Though the camera will not ship with Nikon View, the software is being revised to display and otherwise handle D200 NEFs. It will be released as an Internet download only from Nikon's technical support sites. A new version of PictureProject will come bundled with the D200."

6. Birger and Ken,
    Thanks for your replies. It's good to know something will be available for RAW conversion.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Silver,
    With your talent and knowledge... I am suprised you not exclusivly using PS and NC ??

cheers

PS they will all support it.

8. Gale,
    Thanks, but I'm impatient and I like the speed and work flow with Raw Shooters Premium. For me the conversion is just the beginning of making a photograph. I like to convert a number of photos from a shoot and see what they look like after processing. Then, I select a smaller number to Photoshop. At any rate, I probably should use PS and NC more for RAW conversion. Perhaps I'll give NC 4.4 a try when it's available. Of course, NC is a must for rectilinearizing Fisheye shots with the 10.5mm. However, I generally like the fisheye look whenever I shoot fisheye, else I use a wide angle zoom.

9. Nikon View 6.27 supports D200

Here a blip from DPR that says there is a new version of Nikon View (6.27) that will support the D200.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Muril,

Although I'm a D70 user (the D200 has to stay a little longer on my wish list), I am curious to know a bit more about your experience with RawShooter. I used to play with the free Essential package, but I got very mixed results. It would often produce very noisy pictures with strange artifacts when converting D70 images. I like the workflow of Rawshooter, but I'm sceptical about the results. Maybe I do something wrong. I've been experimenting with NC, RawShooter, ACR and even Dave Coffins RAW converter and have yet to find the optimal converter. Each one has it's strength and weaknesses. After reading Bruce Fraser's "Real World Camera RAW" I feel more comfortable with ACR and use it now as my standard RAW converter. However, RawShooter definitely has some nice features and I wanted to know how to put it to work so that I get good results. If you read this, I'd appreciate your help.

11. Heiko,
    My initial use of Rawshooter Essentials was primarily with some IR shots from a New Mexico trip with my IR mod D70. These images may not have been the best test. I then bought the Premium version. I have not noticed any problem, but perhaps I should take a closer look. I will take a look at ACR. I may be simply caught up in the nice workflow of Rawshooter Premium. My approach is to use Rawshooter's curves and levels as well as color temperature and exposure corrections. I also straighten and crop in some cases. Then I open in CS and go from there. Nikon Capture is so slooooow on my computer. Perhaps I need to upgrade to CS2. I understand that Raw Conversion is much better in CS2 than in CS. I appreciate your post very much, because there is much I need to learn about Raw conversion. Thanks.