RAW Magick vs NC 4.2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by EdMac, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Here is a quick test between the two programs. Pay attention to the detail in the Swan's neck feathers. I am sure that I could do a more scientific comparison, but in a larger blowup there is definitely more detail in the Raw Magick rendering. :) Has anyone else made any comparisons.

NC 4.2 Process

15765623-M.

Raw Magick

15766128-M.

2. Ed,

If you've been following the RML message thread you must be aware of some of the consternation about just how to use this product. Do you have time to briefly describe your RML workflow? I'm confused between how one uses the lchrominance/luminance under demosiacing and the Noise plug-in. How do you differentiate?

Thanks, Rich :?:

3. Interesting...the RM shot definitely shows more detail in the highlights, but the NC shot looks lighter overall. I'd like to see more comparisons and also what the processing entailed for each.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Where do I get NC 4.2? The Nikon site is such an unilluminated maze, I'm afraid to go look!

Well, lazy arse that I am, I'm off to search on my own, but incase I come back empty handed, could someone post the url?

¡Muchas Gracias!

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Hi Rich,
    I did the following:
    I opened the picture in RM and applied the increased Dynamic Range curve.
    I locked the file and applied the Levels filter and increased the gamma to about 1.4
    Then I saveed as a PSD
    Opened in PSCS sized to fit web and sharpened.
    As I said it was just a quick test.

7. Hi Janet,
    As I said earlier, this was not a very scientific test. I just wanted to see if I could get more detail in the feathers using RM. The first picture was converted using NC 4.2, and I do not believe that I used the D Lighting feature. The picture is a little too light now that I look at it. I had processed it earlier, and placed it on my SmugMug gallery. Last night, I decided to see if I could get more detail using RM. The next time, I will try and copy down my steps, and be a little more scientific. :)

8. Edmac wrote

Please be patient. I've worked with the beta a long time but I still am lost. 1. Where did the "increased dynamic range curve" come from?
    2. Did you increase the gamma on the levels plug-in?

9. Hi Rich,
    Yes it is a lot different than what we have been used to. One thing that I might suggest is that you download the video turtorials. THey should help a lot.
    When I talk about increasing the dynamic range, I am talking about applying the maximum dynamic range curve. You do that by clicking on the button just below the "To Do" button on the right side of the screen. If you hover the mouse cursor over each button a dialog window will open explaining the function.
    Yes I did increase the gamma by using the levels plug-in. I hope this helped. :)

10. :oops: Oh....I know the one you're talking about. Sometimes you can feel so stupid!

Rich

11. Don't feel bad, this is not an intuitive interface, alhough it is pretty simple once you have been throuh it. :D