RAW or jpg?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cwilt, May 14, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    With the D70 I always shot RAW but I hear that with the D2x the difference in quality may not be worth it.

What mode do you shoot and why?

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

If I know what I'm doing- I shoot jpg.
    If I don't know what I'm doing or if I just want the best -Then nef.

Birger

3. I shoot raw/jpg so I have a choice when processing them.

I like Tiff too and I'm using color mode II and RGB for colorspace.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Paul,

Exactly what I thought you would say. I will concentrate on learning other things about my new toy.

Focus modes are next. Sure are a lot of them. :shock:

6. I usually like to shoot Tiff. It is a big file with lots of information. I haven't found a reason to use the raw. My second choice is Fine JPG. In either case, I usually finish the image in Photoshop.

Enjoy, Bill

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You shoot tiffs Melissa?

Why would you want to do that? It eats up tons of CF space, and takes forever to write to the card.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Paul;

I do agree with you.

But- What are you doing with your photos, that you could not do with
    the D2X jpg files.

Yes if you sell large photos, I can see the use of raw files.

Now if you are like Carol who does weddings and high grade
    studio work, I can see the need maybe of high quality photo files.

Also if you are like Jim Fenton who does excellent bird shots, I can see
    the need.

For most of us who have run out of space to hang photos, I think that we have been snookered to use raw.

Yes I do like using Nikon Capture to bring out the best in a photo, but I could do almost the same in PS.

Now if I have a situation where I am in serious doubt I will use raw.
    Otherwise it's jpg.

Birger

10. I shoot exclusively in RAW unless it is necessary for me to shoot huge amounts of pictures and then for the sake of CF space I may revert to JPEG. I never shoot TIFF having taken the advise of people like Thom Hogan and Ron Reznik, who are much smarter than me, and have advised against it.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. billT

billT Guest

I shoot compressed raw+JPEG (fine)

BillT

13. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Paul;
    Paul wrote-
    Not being a professional, I still find it a thrill when folks ask to buy my work - and the bigger shots take almost no additional work, yet get much better prices - so the D2X will earn more, anyway.

Well I find when shooting Real Estate Ladies that using the healing tool
    to remove crows feet, wrinkles and imperfections to make them look 10-15
    years younger they are willing to pay a high price.

Birger

14. I'm still evaluating the differences between JPEGs and NEFs, but already it's clear to me that the D2x's JPEGs are miles beyond what I was used to with the Fuji S2 pro. Nikon has done a super job with their in-camera compression algorithms.

For the time being, I'm shooting Compressed RAW + JPEG Fine.

Best wishes,

David

15. falke

falke Guest

I shoot uncompressed NEF. I compared the same shot of our brick house using the NEF + JPEG mode of the D2X. The JPEG was captured using the highest quality mode. In comparing the two pictures, I could see greater detail and tonality in the brick of the NEF image. The longer I looked, the more positive differences I saw in the NEF image. Image quality is number one for me and NEF provides it.

One of main reasons I purchased Nikon digital is their RAW implementation - NEF and Nikon Capture. With the pair you've got a great deal of non-destructive editing capability. I find a slight change or sometimes a large change in exposure will improve the picture. I use the Advanced RAW feature in NC4 often to alter exposure, color space, tone, and sometimes saturation from the original settings. I'll use the WB controls in NC4 to fine tune the WB. All done without altering the base picture. You can store multiple sharpening profiles and select one expressly for the desired output.

I find myself rarely using CS and now CS2 for hard to correct images.

I will create JPEG images to share via various media, but almost always from the NEF. I can see if someone is pressed for editing time, using the in camera JPEG capability can be a great time saver.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Now....

compressed or uncompressed?

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Depends on how much work on the image you plan on doing. If you will be altering the channel curves only slightly, a compressed NEF should be indistinguishable from an uncompressed one.

On the otherhand you will be doing extensive editing, use uncompressed.

18. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I'm in the habbit of shooting raw from my previous camera where I constantly had to adjust WB or exposure (mostly my mistakes, not the camera). With the D2x, I'm finding that far less images need adjustment but I still like to shoot raw for the knowledge that I've got the highest quality pictures possible.

19. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I shoot uncompressed raw only. Nikon folks tried to convince me at the last NikonSchool that JPEG is just as good... I dunno what to say... Where do they find these people...

20. billT

billT Guest

Hi Paul,

I shoot compressed raw + JPEG fine. There are many occasions where I found that a properly processed raw (even though it was compressed) is better than JEPG.

BillT.