Raw Shooter Premium

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by gbenic, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I used the free version a while ago and the interface seemed pretty easy to use. Greg, do you think this is a better choice than Raw Magick lite? (It's still in beta though.)

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Perhaps this post would get more attention if you put it in the general or technical forums.

2. I am not a fan of the free version. The pay version seems to know and display my in camera settings. I am still checking it out, but it ain't no NC4! I have never used Raw Magick so I don't know how it would compare. I took your advice and made a post in the general forum.

3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    I think i am liking it.. Virginia remembers this photo.. took all of 2 minutes to come up with this...

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

Looks like i am buying this unless someone can show me something that works better for the same amount or less..

Thanks
    Tim

4. If you do buy it, please keep us posted.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I saw all the thrashing with that trees/lake/mountain shot the other day. This is the best rendition so far.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It seems to give OK results, but the interface sucks IMO. At least NC sticks to most Windows conventions.

7. I don't know if this is better but I did it in PS CS in just under 3 minutes and it didn't cost me anything extra.

8. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    that is also very nice Gordon.... what is ps cs?? now i sound like a real brain..

just looking at cheap ways to do my converting and editing.... got a big xmas want list...

TIm

9. Adobe Photoshop CS. I thought you already had that.

10. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    i have photo shop elements... nothing else to convert Raw to jpeg except RSE.. thinking about RSP half price till the 31st.. or will go with NC but its twice the price..

Tim

11. I would just be sure that you are going to like RSP better than you would Photoshop CS II before you spend the money. Also, wondered why you don't use Nikon Capture to convert from RAW??

12. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Gordon,
    First of all comparing a $59 Raw converter to a $600 photo editing applciation is apples to oranges. RSP cannot do everything you can whip up in photoshop, but many people do not have full blown photoshop or may want to streamline processing of images,

Second, I have been using essentials as my only RAW converter for months and have upgraded to RSP the moment it became available.
    It is the simplest to use RAW converter IMO Bar None. You can sit your 10 year old daughter in front of it, explain nothing, and have her developing RAWs in 10 minutes. No reading Scott Kelby's book on ACR, no reading Ron R's workflow guide to figure out Capture, etc.

Now, first somebody asked about Raw Magick Lite. If you are interested I would say skip it, send me $40 and I will make you fee like an idiot for a while, save you the trouble. That program requires a lot more than an MIT degree to figure out, let's put it that way. I have been in the beta program since day one, and other than hundreds of spurious e-mails from users, the program iteself has contributed noithing to my life other than aggravation. Raw MAgick is the #1 converter if you want to find the owners/designers posting beautiful ISO 690000 images on the web to prove how awesome it is, but if you want to get anything processed I would again say skip it. I worked for a software company once where the deisgner was in lvoe with his application and failed to understand why normal users (perhaps people who did not code it themselves) could not fulfill it's marvelous functionality...

Now, comparing to capture... hmm Gordon, let me put it this way, if you bring RSP or RSE up in the same sentence with CApture, that hints that you haven;t used RawShooter products at all. Capture is slow, cumbersome and not intuitive.

RSP/RSE provide near instantaneous preview feedback of parameter changes (RM Lite is VERY slow), the controls arte intuitive, the "Auto" WB and exposure are VERY good starting points for image adjustment.

What are the benefits of RSP over RSE?
    The ability to do levels, curves and crop in the RAW processor means if I only wanted to do 1 step processing I can get images out of RSP that are ready to print/publish. If want to get fancy-pants I still ahve to use CS2 for layers, masking, etc. (I still do Noise reduction in CS as well), but I don't HAVE to.
    Auto WB is a bit better. Noise reduction is better,
    ANYONE who does not take the time to download the free demo of one of the products is doing him or herself a dis-service.

13. I had not a clue what RSP cost and was just trying to point out that if you were going to upgrade from PS Elements it would be better to put your money towards CS. Perhaps a student/teacher discount could help.:redface: :redface:

Gee, I like NC and do not find it slow or counter intuitive.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gordon -

I find NC to be very intuitive, easy to use and it provides great results. But on my laptop (which should have plenty of horse power), saving or saving as can take for flippin' ever. When I work I always have a book handy. No kidding! The mystery to me is that it doesn't always act this way, and I can't figure out any pattern. Any ideas what might be happening?

So I'm going to give RSP a try out and if the results are as good as NC, I'll switch. One thing I know I don't like about RSP is that I can't ingest or rename with the date-time method I like, but that's not a big deal because I'll keep on using Photo Mechanic like I do now. I am a bit confused about how the sidecar files are handled in a backup (not simple copy/move).

Gordon

15. I have a dual processor and 2 GB of RAM and I never have to wait. Course I am shooting with a D2H not a D2X which would make a big difference.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Personally , I just do not like RSE...

NC and PSCS is so much better. You can do so much more.....
    Better results.

Most images I process in NC and there are a few PSCS does better.
    Just take alottttttttt of time to get the hang of them and used to them and willing to put in the time. The results is so muuch better.

Just a personal opinion. Doesn't mean a thing :>))))))

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Obviously I've got much bigger files with my D2X, but that doesn't explain why sometimes NC saves quickly and other times it's a dog. FYI I've got a 2Gh Centrino and 2GB of RAM. What are the bottlenecks in saving a file?

Gordon

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

Just so there is no confusion, I use PSCS2 also for images that need it. My workflow now is Photo Mechanic, NC and then PS if needed. All I am thinking about is substituting RSP for NC.

Gordon