RAW Therapee - initial thoughts on new converter

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by heiko, Aug 8, 2007.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi there,

Haven't been around for some time. I have been experimenting some time with a Linux setup and stumbled upon RAW Therapee.

This RAW converter is available for both Windows and Linux, and can be freely downloaded at:

http://www.rawtherapee.com

This week I took some product pictures for the company I'm working for. In the all the rush I forgot to bring a backdrop, the results then were less than optimal with some color cast on the top of the products.

I tried Capture NX, but couldn't get it right. I gave RAW Therapee a 5-10 minutes spin, and voila, 90% of the problems were fixed.

The UI is not the most intuitive, although I found my way through it pretty fast. RAW Therapee certainly lacks a few features like batch processing, color management , etc. The developer states on his website that he will deal with that in a future release.

What impressed me was the demosaicing which worked well on even demanding pictures. It seems as good if not better than most of the commercial RAW converters.

Second to that are the controls. Even though there is practically no documentation available for this software, it's quite easy to figure out and get to the results.

The developer considers the current version 2.1.1 as experimental.

I like to know if any of you have tried it and what you think about it (like or dislike)? The download file is only 7MB.

I'd love to show the product pictures before (perhaps NEF) and after, but I'm afraid I can't right now.

Regards,

2. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for sharing this.