RAW to jpeg - D300 Picture Control Settings

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by RickC, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I've always shot using RAW files and take care of most things while pp'ing in PS3 and NX. It takes a bit of time, but that's part of the "fun".

Recently I was asked to be the photographer for my daughter's soccer team and I have found that using RAW is a bit of a pain - less shots/memory card, slower continuous release capture and more pp time. I'm not sure that the other soccer parents are that picky as to which file type I'm using, and it is my time.

Yesterday I switched to jpeg-fine, and really enjoyed the increases in both number of shots per memory card and my continuous capture went up drastically.

My only issue is the in-camera settings - Picture Control for the D300 -particuarly, the saturation and sharpening settings.

I know I can try different combinations, although if someone has this "dialed- in" already, I'd really appreciate recommendations for the D300 Picture Control settings using jpeg.

Thanks!

2. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Saturation; 0, or maybe +1 if there are no red jerseys.

Sharpness; 6,7.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Rick, experimentation is a wonderful option, so give my defaults a try. I use Standard with the only other aspect changed is Sharpening which set to 9 for daylight shooting and to 4 for high ISO shooting. Give it a try, I think you will like it.

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'm now actually using neutral with +1 sats and sharpening +7. I find neutral is giving better skin tones and avoiding a tendancy for the D300 to give a bit of megenta/orange cast in good light.

But, hey, it's what floats your boat that counts.

5. Thanks for the information. I'll try all of your recommendations!

I believe my initial try at this I had the saturation a bit too high.........