RAW to the rescue...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Joe Marques, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Whenever I'm asked why I shoot RAW I can now simply show this photo. For some reason aperture priority on my D700 totally screwed up exposure on this shot. Luckily I shoot RAW and it was an easy fix in LR2.

Out of the camera:

[​IMG]

Fixed in about 30 seconds in LR2 - including cropping:

[​IMG]

If I shot jpeg the highlights would have been blown.

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I'm still trying to learn LR and shooting in RAW. This is another convincing reason to do so.
    Good job.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Yup, Raw and LR - perfect together!

4. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Very nice Joe. He's a hansome boy. Why I love RAW too :)

5. Thanks for the comments folks. :smile:

6. Perfect example of why to shoot raw! Nice recovery!!

7. Nice save here, Joe. You're still lucky on this one. Even in RAW, if the highlights are really blown, there's no information to be "saved".

8. Absolutely Mitch. It's really the sensor that held the detail and RAW maximized the dynamic range of the capture making recovery possible. I think that's more accurate.

9. After shooting exclusively JPEG, I shot RAW + JPEG for about 3 weeks - then dumped the JPEG

I only shoot RAW now, and with LR2, my workflow is FASTER than when I shot JPEG and used MS Photo Editor

I still work hard on getting the exposure right the first time, but little tweaks here and there are necessary - and possible with RAW

10. What a good example Joe, both in the camera and processing areas. Would it be possible to obtain a copy of the raw to use as a demo (with credit of course) - I don't have a D700............yet !!:biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for your enthusiasm for LR as well, a lot of people have put in a lot of effort to get it this far - imagine what it may be like when LR 11 comes out !!:wink::wink::eek:

11. Hi Geoff, sure I can send the RAW. PM me with your preferred email address that can take a large file.

I knew LR2 would be a big leap forward when the bought out Pixmantec and RSP, the guy knows his stuff. He was a founder of Capture One if I'm not mistaken. It was too late for him to heavily influence LR1 but you can clearly see the impact on LR2.

12. devo

devo

Sep 22, 2008
    Philly / SoMD
    i too know the benefits of RAW. I went to the beach down the street from my house, took some pics of the shore line, and looked at them when i got home. either the sky was blown out or the trees were too dark.

in light room, i took one where the sky was blown out and was able to tone the sky down and give it more detail, so now it looks amazing. ill have to post some when i get a chance.

13. Thanks Joe, maybe a server would be best, I forgot how large the D700 files are!!:smile:

14. I've quit shooting jpeg, my standard now is LR2 and RAW.