RAW vs. RAW

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I shoot my D70 in RAW. Canon has a RAW, also. Would my NX work for Canon's RAW images?

2. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Chris:

RAW is a generic term, but RAW files from Nikon cameras and other (e.g. Canon) cameras are not the same. Capture NX will not read Canon RAW files.

-- Russ

3. Thanks, Russ. I sort of didn't think so, but ya never know til ya ask!!!!!:biggrin:

4. Chris,

If you open different RAW-type files and convert these to a standard format like DNG, then these DNGs preserve the data and can be read by the same software. The bottom line is simply what you all ready know, namely that no two things are created equally and particularly in digital photography.

Tom

5. Now I'm confused!!!!!:confused:  (which isn't a new thing for me!)

I've never heard of this DNG thing. I guess my question is........if I were to buy a Canon, (heaven forbid) would I be able to post process the RAW Canon images with my Nikon NX program?

6. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    DNG is supposed to be a universal RAW format. Invented by Adobe. NX does not have the capability to read DNG formatted files. It can only open TIF, JPG, and NEF files. [ And of course, it can do more adjustments with NEF files than either TIF of JPG - like exposure compensation.]

7. That's what I thought. Okay, I'll forget all that I know about DNG!!!!!:biggrin:

8. TomaS,

Are you stating that if someone opens a Canon Raw image file in Adobe PSE LR OR CS3 and edits this file that it cannot be savesd as a DNG? If this is the case, I have learned something and I thank you.

Tom

9. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Tom,
    No, that is not what I said or tried to communicate. I do not use any of those programs or DNG files. What I said was that Capture NX is incapable of OPENING a DNG file no matter what program produced it.

10. TomaS,

I totally agree with what you said. Thank you for the clarification.

Tom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.