RAW workflow question...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, May 13, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I know that this forum has a large number of photographers that are on the cutting, (bleeding) edge of technology. Now that PSCS2 has been out for a couple of weeks, I am interested in how you open your raw images and the general workflow up to the printing. If you have suggestions or just want to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks

After much experimenting, using both a D2x and a D70, I find that the ACR 3.1 in PSCS2 does not give a very satisfactory result in the shot as WB. I can bring a photo to where I like it but my experimenting has shown that it is much easier and usually a better result when I open the image in NC 4.2.1 the press the Photoshop icon in NC to transfer the image to PSCS2 for additional editing.

This is my usual workflow;
    1. Open Nikon View to look for an image

2. click on the image in NV then go to the menu item view> edit in NC Editor. This transfers the image to NC editor still in the raw form.

3. In NC, I check the WB first, then I might do some adjusting for specific chroma lightness or fiddle with the curves or color.

Not much additional fiddling is required for most images. If I have an image with a dark forground or background, I transfer that to Photoshop where I us an adjustment layer to bring the offending portion of the image back to where it matches the well exposed portion of the image and then erase the portion of the top layer that is incorrectly exposed (due to editing). This leaves the well exposed bottom layer and the now well exposed top layer portions as one correctly exposed image.

4. Now with the image exposed and color balanced, I might do a little fine tuning. Next I apply image editing that can not be done in NC such as a lens blur or cloning for example.

5. add my printer profile and print from photoshop.

I save the files in Tiff and in jpg. I also use Picture Project to display images in slide shows or for exporting as this is an easy way to show off several photos and I like the ability to add music to the slide show.

2. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Scott

I have a similair WF to you, and yes I have tried out ACR 3.1 recently. I wasnt too impressed with ACR 3.1 really.

I currently offload from D2H using NV, then use NC to make WB, sharpness and some possible chroma adjustments (using some skin tone curves if necessary) then save as JPG.

I adjust in PSE (cant afford full blown CS :( so brought the elements version instead :oops: ) if necessary.

I use labs to print my work - I find it cheaper that way but I do loose control over specifics of printing process

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017