RAW workflow.

I have been informed by OSF. (see my introductory message.) that now I have started to shoot in RAW they require the pictures I submit to be as follows:- Converted TIFF - Original RAW and High Quality JPEG prints for quck viewing. ie Thumbnails.
Now I have Nikon View-Nikon Capture 4.2 and Photoshop CS.
I am OK with Raw/NEF.
After I have decided which I want to submit, what is the best way of transferring that file to TIFF and again for JPEG.
I have read about batch transfers and do not as yet quite understand the prinicple, but if this is the way to do it then that is how I will proceed. SAVE and SAVE AS. Two separate ways of saving my pictures. Am I right in stating that in SAVE, the original images are overwritten, but in SAVE AS they are duplicated into a another set that can remain in the same folder or sent to another one. I have set up the following Folders.

Original Raw.-Raw 2 TIFF and RAW 2 JPEG. and RAW for Post Processing.

Any guidance would be most appreciated on the above and what do you
consider the best approach to tweaking the original RAW for other magazines, rather than the agency that takes all my work

Many thanks. Bob F. :?

Bob,

At work so I can't write much, but saving a RAW (.nef) file in Nikon Capture only saves the modifications that you made in Capture (if any), as sort of a script that changes the displayed file. It does not change the RAW data.

This to me is one of the cool things about shooting RAW.

Hope this answers at least part of your question.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Bob,

The work flow for many of us is to do initial processing in Capture and then Save As a TIFF. We then open the TIFF in Photoshop do additional processing including sizing, USM, etc. and then Save As a processed TIFF or as a JPEG. My JPEG's would be sized according to the usage intended; i.e., web, print, thumbnail. I am careful not to re-save JPEG's over and over as this degrades the image.

Latest threads

Top Bottom