Rbwp - rip

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have several natural man-made nests in my yard. This pair of woodpeckers have been around one of the nests all spring. When I got back from my recent trip to Malaysia, they had moved into the nest and had 3 eggs. I have been spending time watching and monitoring them for weeks.
2/3 hatched a few weeks ago and only 1 survived about 1.5 week later. The pair was still feeding and rotating staying with the remaining chick everyday.
It was usually quiet that evening, there was no begging sound coming from the nest. After waiting for some time, I decided to investigate. The baby was partially covered by wood dust and it was not moving. It was dead.
I waited again for the parents but they never showed up. I decided to take the nest down. The baby was missing its upper beak. It could have been attacked and chewed up by predators in the neighborhood. After taken a few pics with my iPhone, I gave the baby a proper burial. RIP.
It was a very sad day....

They were very good parents. No matter how hard they tried, they could not protect the babies from the predators.
I hope they will be around and give it another try.
1Dx, 600mm IS II, 1/3200, f/7.1, ISO6400

This is just to help illustrates what I experienced with this family of RBWP:

So sad about your loss. I have read that starlings can be a real problem with red-headed wood peckers. If it had been coon or hawk etc they would have eaten the chick. what really stinks on top of that is here you go out of your way to provide them a good home and then this. Most people are just too lazy and cheep to feed the birds on a regular basis much less put up quality homes for them. If you find out it was starlings I know where you can hire a hit man cheep. [HAVE GUN...WILL TRAVEL]. That was the name of a great western tv show years ago before the men in America all got nutered.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Troy,

The first is a really beautiful image....excellent wing position!

But such a sad story! Many do not realize how attentive these parents are - or how precarious the odds of survival are.

God Bless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all. In hindsight, I should have put food out for them every day to help increase the chance of survival.
It might have been the squirrel, but I will make sure it becomes the swallow tail kite's meal soon :)

Real Name
Luis Casals
Troy, great capture on the first one. So sad for the little one. I am very fond of these birds.

If you put your nest log back up you might get a second try from the same birds or a red-headed WP if you have them in the area. The rhwp often nest quite late in the year. Have_A_Heart traps work great on tree rats. I just move them up to a big area of open woods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I set them back out with more wood shaving in there. Hope they will come by again...if not, I welcome screech owls :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom