Re: Two types of cards in D4

So far it hasn't bothered me since it came with a XQD card and reader. If I had to buy the new card, then I would have something to complain about. I can see an advantage with two type of cards, such as using one for RAW and the other for JPEG or video.

The D4 is clearly a bridge camera. It's the only one to use XQD.I'm not thrilled about the different formats, and I'm even more annoyed that ther is no FireWire option for XQD readers for my Mac book pro.

Hi Melissa.

Nikon was part of the consortium of companys which developped the QXD-format. The D4 was announced in the same time frame as the cards. Given the expected life time of a pro-level camera, Nikon just had to include the new card for promotional reasons.

I was surprised that the D800 has a SD-slot instead of a QXD-slot. With its high data amount, new, faster cards would be usable here as well. Especially, since I don't consider the D800 to be a "upgraders choice" for some one coming from D90/D7000.

As long as there is a CF slot to choose, I think it's okay at this moment. Two CF slots would have been better for former D3-shooters, but QXD will be the future solution.

Best regards

Mattes

For what it's worth, I ordered 4 16GB CF cards (Extreme Pro) which ought to work just fine for now (90MBps). I'll keep the XQD card as a reserve until I upgrade my 2010 MacBook Pro to one that can support a native XQD card reader.

I like the speed of the XQD card, but it's not worth the hassle of having to go buy a USB 3.0 card for my computer just to use it.

Real Name
Colin Carter
for the D4s in 18 months time Nikon will either change to 2 xqd cards or go back to 2 CF cards.

if no other manufacturer gets behind xqd (namely canon) then it will be another big flop like other sony cards.

I personally think it a backwards step by nikon so im waiting for the d4s, im not bothered which but 2 of the same cards are my preference.

I like it that Nikon is trying to make the cameras "future" compatible. I hope the the XQD cards are more generally accepted and become mainstream. I personally prefer two different card types, just to make sure which one I am using is the backup.

I would have preferred that the D4 had two XQD slots instead however that would have been a disaster if there was a shortages of cards. Definitely seems like a transition solution until we look at the D800. The D800 should have shipped with two SD slots (ugh) or the same solution as the D4 with a XQD and CF slot. Makes me think this is not a transition only feature but future bodies for sometime will also use same configuration of XQD/CF slots. Doesn't make sense though as card sizes and speeds will be different thus your speed is only going to be as fast as your slowest card when using it in the backup configuration. Only time can tell.

I appreciate everyone's posts. I was just curious and I myself still thinks it doesn't make sense. It seems to me that it would be so confusing especially for those that use two cameras for their work with one holding CF and the D4 using one CF and the other the XQD. I can't predict the future but I just can't see anything taking over the CF. Look at what happened when Microsoft tried with that Microdrive and we all know that didn't go very far. As someone said, time will only tell.

I think the difference in the memory cards for the D4 and D800 might have something to do with the natural disasters. If production of the D800 was delayed by the earthquake/tsunami, then perhaps the D800 was designed before the XQD card, and further postponing the D800 to redesign it for an XQD card would not be possible in time for the Olympics. It would make more sense to me if the D800 had an XQD card because they are almost faster in every way when compared to CF and SD cards.

I would also think since XQD is new technology, that having two XQD slots in the D4 could be disastrous if production of the cards were delayed prior to release of the D4 (which could be the reason the D4 was delayed and then the XQD was included with the purchase of the D4), if Sony could not keep up with demand, and if the cards were a flop and people hated using them. What would you do with a D4 if it had two XQD cards and the cards didn't work, failed, and, or were useless? I think it was smart of Nikon to gently embrace the new card and see how well it works in the field before making it standard on all of their camera's.

I saw a comparison review of all three cards and the XQD did extremely well in testing, and hopefully that will be everyone's experience. I too would prefer having just one type of card, instead of juggling between the three.

After having spent a few weeks with the XQD card, I wish Nikon had put two in the D4. It is an amazingly fast card. Downloads are much faster than with CF.

I did need to download a couple of drivers from Sony. My computer was only downloading at USB 2.0 speeds without these.

I appreciate everyone's posts. I was just curious and I myself still thinks it doesn't make sense. It seems to me that it would be so confusing especially for those that use two cameras for their work with one holding CF and the D4 using one CF and the other the XQD. I can't predict the future but I just can't see anything taking over the CF. Look at what happened when Microsoft tried with that Microdrive and we all know that didn't go very far. As someone said, time will only tell.

Microdrive is an IBM invention, not Microsoft.:smile:

for the D4s in 18 months time Nikon will either change to 2 xqd cards or go back to 2 CF cards.

if no other manufacturer gets behind xqd (namely canon) then it will be another big flop like other sony cards.

I personally think it a backwards step by nikon so im waiting for the d4s, im not bothered which but 2 of the same cards are my preference.

Agreed. Sticking to my D3s until there's a better defined roadmap for XQD cards. Not worth the investment at this point IMHO. I'm glad the D800 doesn't use them. I did an engagement shoot with a fellow photog yesterday. I used one of his CF cards in my D3s, shot in parallel, and gave him one of the cards at the end of the shoot. Loved how easy that was (he uses Canon).

D4: is it worth it?

Hi Melissa.

Nikon was part of the consortium of companys which developped the QXD-format. The D4 was announced in the same time frame as the cards. Given the expected life time of a pro-level camera, Nikon just had to include the new card for promotional reasons.

I was surprised that the D800 has a SD-slot instead of a QXD-slot. With its high data amount, new, faster cards would be usable here as well. Especially, since I don't consider the D800 to be a "upgraders choice" for some one coming from D90/D7000.

As long as there is a CF slot to choose, I think it's okay at this moment. Two CF slots would have been better for former D3-shooters, but QXD will be the future solution.

Best regards

Mattes

Please explain your reasoning to me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom