Re: waterfalls

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I wanted to know what speed should one use to take a picture of waterfalls so that it slows down the water and puts it in slow motion? Would that be around 15?

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. things that make you go hmmmmm. For waterfalls I usually do exposures of a second plus, but you have to be careful not to blow out the white hence why I use ND filters. 1/15th will look nice depending on how fast the waterfall is but longer for silky does work. Really pay attn to your histogram.....good luck

3. Melissa,
    There is a bit of trial and error when it comes to waterfalls. A lot depends on the look you are going for and the velocity of the water.

Most start at 1 second exposures and work your way upwards. 15 seconds is probably too long and would give the water a more non-descript look.

The shot below was at 3 seconds.

24998205-L.

Here is one at 1.6 seconds

24998250-L.

4. Thanks Keith. I have a couple od ND filters and will take them with me on vacation.

5. Very beautiful Mitchell. I will give your advice a try as well as Keith's. I do want to get the same look as the one you have.

So I use Manual mode so would I set the speed to 3 seconds and the aperture accordingly?

Thanks,

6. Exactly. You may need your ND filters. Just pick your exposure time and adjust the aperture accordingly.

7. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Roman,

How many bracket shots did you use? Did you use the new HDR function from CS2?

I would appreciate to get some more detail. The shot is really impressive. I had not much luck with ND filters. Probably because I did not buy the really expensive ones. I often had a color cast which I did not like at all.

But to shot may be 5 shots with 1 Stop difference per shot and to combine them with HDR in CS2 could be a good solution...

8. Melissa,

I don't know if this will help. Not a waterfall but definitely putting motion in a stream. This one is shot at 1/6 sec.

Frits

9. Hey thanks my friends. I appreciate the info. I will give it a try a using around 1/5 or 1/6.

I appreciate the great help. Once I get back from vacation after the New Year, I will post the photos. Just getting info in advance.

10. Frits,

Wow I sure like all of the water shots that have been posted here. I sure hope I can come close to what you are all doing. I would be happy to just try it.

11. Hi Melissa,

Check out this tool: http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html

I use it all the time and it really allows one to "bracket" water and pick the one you like the best. I never go anywhere without this!

Paul

12. Thanks Paul but 340 is too much money even if it is a nice concept idea. I want to save money for the new flash system and the new lens. I will keep this in mind for the future and use the filters that I have.

Again, good idea for an ND filter.

13. Picture taken at 1/8 sec.
    [​IMG]

Normaly you start to see movement in the water at 1/4 sec and longer. But one thing that you have to remember the longer the exposure the more fine details will be hiden.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Hi Melissa,
    I usually shoot waterfalls at 1/15 sec or slower. Any faster than 1/15 sec and the water doesn't seem to have much blur. The shot below was at 1/3 sec. I use aperture priority to set my DOF and let the camera pick the speed, just making note if it's slow enough. I prefer to shoot falls on overcast days, it helps lower the shutter speeds and evens out the light, reduces the dynamic range of the scene. If I don't have an ND filter, I have used a Pol in a pinch, it's good for 2 stops. Tripod and cable release are really mandatory. Just watch the histogram and don't blow out the highlights.....
    34935876.FallFalls_6060.

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Here's one taken with Singh-Ray's Blue-Gold Polarizer. Exposure was 2 seconds at f/19:

[​IMG]

16. What aperture do you use for these waterfalls to make them have a blur to them?

Thanks,

18. Great photo's i love waterfalls. But here in the netherlands i never seen a real waterfall. :mad: Where are the moutains when you need them!

Greetings,
    Vince

19. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The only reason to be concerned about the aperture is to get the DOF you need for the shot. Without a good ND filter though, you may have to stop way down to get the shutter speed long enough to get the 'milky' effect (hence my f/19 above). Keeping your ISO as low as possible helps also.

20. I agree that $340 is steep for a ND filter and I couldn't justify it myself. What will you be using the new flash system for? Do you have jewellery or other macro type shots in mind? I used to have one but it was so rarely used I sold it.