Reading books is not dead

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by rbsinto, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Taken last summer at Edward's Gardens a large botanical garden and park here in Toronto.
    I was just entering the garden grounds when I noticed a young woman sitting on a bench in front of the main building, engrossed in a book that she was reading.
    I was attracted both by the scene and the rare sight of a young person engaged in a page and paper book, rather than an electronic device, and grabbed this shot.
    Cosina Voigtlander R2S Bessa
    Nikon 35 1.8 in Nikon S-mount manual focus
    Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
    f4 @ 1/2000th
    Reading_books_is_not_dead-1920.

• Like Like x 1
  2. File this one in your folder of anachronisms. :)  It sure doesn't hurt that her shirt and the flowers are yellow.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    It's funny. Local library offers digital e-books, but they are always checked out, so I can get a paper book quicker... And I prefer it. It is to be the either way around!!

I'm reading a good one right now called Crucial Conversations. Required reading by my church leadership team.

4. Mike, Andrew,
    Thanks for commenting.
    Andrew,
    I read books of paper all the time.
    Currently reading a World War Two novel about Nazi Germany called "The Kindly Ones".
    A vision of hell.
    Robert

5. I definitely prefer reading paper books and magazines over viewing the digital versions.

6. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I read paper books, digital doesn't have the feel or smell of paper. I'm a geezer and doubt I'll ever make the switch to digital. I offered my copy of the D800 Busch book to our daughter-in-law, I'd given her my camera a few months ago and just found the book. She said they didn't have any paper books, everything was digital.

7. I made the switch from paper to Kindle...and will never go back. For me, the biggest benefits of digital are:
    • The pages are illuminated perfectly--so I don't have to position the book near a light source. The illumination adjusts for the ambient light...makes it easy to read even when all the lights are out.
    • The book is very light and easy to hold with one hand. This came in handy recently when I read Michener's "Hawaii"...
    • I can adjust the font size to my preference. This is a big benefit for me...as I can adjust it to make it very easy on my eyes.
    • I can just touch a word and the definition pops up. This is a lot more convenient than looking up a word in the dictionary when dealing with a paper book...so much so that with paper I usually don't even bother looking the word up.
    • Our library carries quite a few digital books...so I can browse for books from my computer (or phone) and download them in seconds. No more driving to the library to check out and return books.
    • The book appears not only on my Kindle, but also on my phone. And they are automatically synced. While I prefer the Kindle, I will often read some pages from my phone when I am out and about...and then that progress is picked up the next time I open the Kindle.
    • When I purchase a book, Kindle books are cheaper than paper books.
    Glenn

• Like Like x 2
  8. Paper for me too. Other than a few manuals and guides, I'm all paper. My current read is related to Robert's, "Savage Continent: Europe in the aftermath of World War II" by Keith Lowe.
    Nice photo Robert. Calming and reassuring!

9. That's a nice photograph, and it helps to bolster confidence in the younger generation. These days it seems to be a surprise to see a young person reading something other than a smart phone. My six-year-old granddaughter is an avid reader of books, and I'm amazed at the details she picks up. Her mother (our daughter) was visiting here last night when we had some severe storm warnings. Her husband called to say that they might retreat to the basement rooms, and the daughter wasn't too upset but was busy packing up her books to take with her.

I read 30-40 books/year, always in paper form. I must say that Glenn's post makes the Kindle sound very tempting.

10. My wife is an avid Kindle reader and echos your comments Glenn. She has been reading a few paper books given to her by her daughter and was commenting the other night how much she prefers her Kindle.

11. My father reads a lot...and he always read paper books. He had no interest in digital. I bought him a Kindle for his birthday, and he said he'll never go back. For him, it's the ability to set the font size that makes the biggest difference. Secondly, he likes how light the Kindle is in his hand. Now, I usually get him Amazon gift cards as he is always looking to purchase Kindle books. He doesn't like using the local library for Kindle as the book expires in two weeks--too soon for him to typically finish reading a book.

Glenn

12. I read both digital and paper. Of the two I like digital the best for all the reasons that Glenn spelled out but must admit that the convenience of paper has its attractions.

13. Glen, you're such a renaissance man, and you are giving us old coots a bad reputation!
    My older brother loves his Kindle and has done his darnedest to convert me from paper. I do see all the benefits you note above, but for me paper still rules. When I want to compare something on page 43 with page 319 and with page 11 of another book--paper is king.

14. An ereader is like carrying around a whole bookcase in something smaller and lighter than a single book. That said, hardbacks are easier & more collectible for the author to sign.

15. Nick,
    Thanks for commenting on my photo.
    Robert

16. :D :D :D 

17. +1 Glenn.
    Biographies and military histories often run over 500 pages and I can't hold hard copies for more than a few minutes any more.
    Plus there's no space left on the shelves.
    And the 2nd hand seller's market is just about dead.

18. Lovely photo of the reader concentrating on her book. Even better that it was shot on film.

19. Yeah. I missed that connection!

20. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Both paper and digital have their place.

If I'm writing something I always do a final read and look to see how everything falls out on paper. It's not always the way it looks on the monitor.

For reading, I used to like paper. But now I like digital better. You have an unlimited variety with digital and you don't have books all over the place either.

I know some people like the smell of old books. I'm not one of those people. I hate the smell of old musty dusty moldy old books. It's kind of like when you walk into one of those old vintage stores and the smell of old junk(sorry I meant to say antiques) and patchouli over takes you. Yuck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.