Reagan Mill, Smoky Mountains

I shot this last Friday morning along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in the Great Smoky Moutains National Park.

It was built in 1895 by Alfred Reagan.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G

Gr8Tr1x

That is gorgeous. Any metering tips or PP'ing tips to get such nice dynamic range?

Thanks Joshua. The main tip I have is to shoot in the early morning light before the sun hits anything. I used a polarizing filter to reduce reflections on the water, ExpoDisc for white balance preset, matrix metering, and 1/2 second exposure for blurring the water flow. The only post processing was a little sharpening.

great shot......i`m guessing you used a small aperture and long shutter length to get the lovely depth of field here....
do you also use a low ISO setting?
sorry i`m just learning this side of things really....
great composition as well...

kris

That is a very nice image. I like how you can see what looks like fog in the distance and everything in the foreground is so crisp and clear.

Thanks, Vern, Kris, and Sharon.

Kris, I set the ISO to 100, mode to shutter priority, shutter speed to 1/2 second (to give the flowing water effect), and the aperture ended up at f/6.3. You wouldn't think that f/6.3 would give much depth of field, but the focal length was 38mm, so maybe that helped. The lens used was a Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G.

thanks, Keith, that`s excellent, really useful.....man that is interesting, that it would produce that much DOF.....
anyway, cheers...

kris

Very nice shot, I like the serenity of the scene, very tranquil. Looks like a lovely place to just sit and enjoy nature.

BTW, your image looks even better in a color profile-aware application. Since it's Adobe RGB, most web browsers will make the colors look a bit undersaturated due to ignoring the color profile and assuming sRGB.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Doug, I envy you living so near the park. I would probably be down there every weekend if I lived that close.

Jeff, thanks for pointing out the color profile issue. I always forget to change the profile to sRGB when posting to the web. I will update the image later today.

may want to bring a bug tent just to sit in Jeff, since it is a rain forest, lol.

Keith, it's a big plus for the area. I grew up here, never left. I live on the Smokies side of Knoxville, so I can be in the park on Gatlinburg bypass or in Townsend in 30 minutes unless I get really logjammed by tourists on the Gatlinburg bypass. Townsend, well tourists can't slow me down getting there, because I go backroads. :)

Let me know sometime before you come down, maybe we can do a hike or something. Loved the sleeping bear cub picture in your gallery, among others. Depending on season, weather permitting, and my available time, I am in the mountains usually at least 1 day in a weekend.

Doug

Latest threads

Top Bottom