1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Real Copyright Protection For Photographers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David_Bailey, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I know this is talked about alot, but I thought I'd share this post from my blog based on an interview between Soctt Kelby and Intellectual Property Rights Attorney, Ed Greenberg.

# # # #

According to an interview with Intellectual Property Attorney, Edward Greenberg, the following guidelines are necessary to legally protect your copyrights.

In order to sue for the illegal use or infringement of your images, you MUST have registered the images with the U.S. Copyright Office. The good news is that you have 90 days from the date of the infringement to file the copyright registration with the U.S. Copyright Office. If you register within the 90 day limit you can sue for statutory and punitive damages and attorney fees. If you register after the 90 day window then you can only sue for "reasonable" actual losses or damages. The good news is that you can easily and inexpensively register groups of images online with the U.S. Copyright Office for only $35.

The bottom line is that you can sue for damages if, and only if, you register your images with the U.S. Copyright Office.

Based on this information, my workflow will now include a bulk registration for each event I shoot. I'll upload all my images to the U.S. Copyright Office and pay the $35 and know that I am covered. Once a photographer works this into their workflow, it should become rather simple.

** I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND THIS INFORMATION IS FOR EDUCATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL USE ONLY. SEE AN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS ATTORNEY IN YOUR STATE FOR GUIDANCE AND FURTHER DIRECTION. **

2. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Great idea that I will incorporate. Perhaps some form of online archiving with the option to submit your protected archive for registration?

Secondly, is there an image quality guideline for submitting? I could submit far more images for $35 if they were 1024 or so?

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Sorry, so, is this saying that after every event you are going to file and pay $35 ?

Sounds ridicuolus.

4. http://www.asmp.org/commerce/legal/copyright/deposit.php

5. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Ok, so, to get this right you could burn 2000 images onto a DVD every 90 days and be covered rather than after every event.

Sheesh, wonder if that's the same downunder....Darren scurries off to look...

Thanks

6. Size can be as small as a 35mm contact sheet so you shouldn't have a problem fitting MANY images on a DVD. You could actually send in a DVD every 90 days and be protected, but my choice is to register after every event. I look at $35 as a cost of doing business. If you are solely a hobbiest you may look at it differently, but 1 copyright infringement handled properly will cover years of registration fees. Everyone has to make their own decision on the cost, but when I look at speding $20k in equipment, another $35 isn't an issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.