Real life ISO on D500?

In my experience there's a lot to take into account, ambient light, shutter speed needs to mention a few, when making a judgement on how high to go with the ISO. But for the type of shooting I do with the D500 I try keeping the ISO below 2000. I've shot at ISO 3200 but typically the images get quite noisy. I will say that the noise up to a point can be easily taken care of with images from the D500.

ISO2500 in the rain this morning...
crop from 80 yds with the 500 f4

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For a well exposed shot that fills the frame, 1600. If you have to crop in, 800. Something I've noticed is that above 800 things change, I just can't explain it. 800 and below, it seems I can crop in pretty tight but above that, no dice, too much noise.

Yes, that's the way I roll...crop and a watermark. Rarely print larger than 16 X 20 and they turn out great (glass/acrylic/metal/canvas) Thx! :D
Will, Stop it! you are making use raw shooters look bad! :):) Seriously, that is one beautiful Sandhill!

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" f8 and be there.... Will, thanks for the inspiration" - Georgie Beagle

I shoot mainly (well, apart form the D500 ONLY) full frame Nikons, so the noise levels
on the D500 have hit me with quite a nasty surprise.

I shoot low-light quite a lot, so I've set my auto ISO upper level to 12,800 and it does
go up there on occasion. It inevitably looks better in B&W in those cases :) but it's
still sharp.

I've been given the advice to NOT use the in-camera noise reduction option. Rather
use software in post.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
For NR, I have found that DxO Elite Photo Lab is the best there is. With DxO you can reduce noise and still maintain fine details.

They offer a 30 day trial period......

Not sure why this thread came back to life but since it did I'll throw in my two cents as well.

Based on my own experience I think there's a lot more to the ISO/noise equation than can be easily explained. Sometimes I'm surprised by how much noise I get at relatively low ISO (i.e. 1600 or lower) and sometimes am quite pleased at how well things appear at high ISO. Haven't tried to collate data to figure it out and don't intend to. But one thing I've learned over the years is to reserve judgement on the performance of a given camera until I've shot it in various lighting conditions. Oh, and take the lab tests that we all read about with a grain of salt.

And then there's the practical reality. As a wildlife shooter the reality is that I'm going to use whatever ISO I have to use to shoot what's in front of me and sort it out later. Sure I try to push aperture and ss to the limits before I start ramping up ISO. But what is a guy going to do when an opportunity presents itself in poor lighting? Just not shoot? If that's the case might as well have stayed home close to the coffee pot.

In direct response to the OP, in the D500 I set the auto ISO limit at 6400.

Here's one shot with the D500 at ISO5000 that I posted in the 300mm PF showcase thread. It's a full vertical crop from a horizontal frame.

And below a full rez crop straight out of the RAW file via Lightroom with no NR or sharpening.

Real Name
Randy
Not sure why this thread came back to life but since it did I'll throw in my two cents as well.

Based on my own experience I think there's a lot more to the ISO/noise equation than can be easily explained. Sometimes I'm surprised by how much noise I get at relatively low ISO (i.e. 1600 or lower) and sometimes am quite pleased at how well things appear at high ISO. Haven't tried to collate data to figure it out and don't intend to. But one thing I've learned over the years is to reserve judgement on the performance of a given camera until I've shot it in various lighting conditions. Oh, and take the lab tests that we all read about with a grain of salt.

And then there's the practical reality. As a wildlife shooter the reality is that I'm going to use whatever ISO I have to use to shoot what's in front of me and sort it out later. Sure I try to push aperture and ss to the limits before I start ramping up ISO. But what is a guy going to do when an opportunity presents itself in poor lighting? Just not shoot? If that's the case might as well have stayed home close to the coffee pot.

In direct response to the OP, in the D500 I set the auto ISO limit at 6400.

Here's one shot with the D500 at ISO5000 that I posted in the 300mm PF showcase thread. It's a full vertical crop from a horizontal frame.

View attachment 1601804

And below a full rez crop straight out of the RAW file via Lightroom with no NR or sharpening.

View attachment 1601805
I'm not getting anything close to that at that ISO

Real Name
Randy
For NR, I have found that DxO Elite Photo Lab is the best there is. With DxO you can reduce noise and still maintain fine details.

They offer a 30 day trial period......
+1 on that, I should have done it along time ago, thanks Karen, it is most impressive s/w and works well from and to LR. I only use it on ISOs over 1600 on a D5

I'm not getting anything close to that at that ISO
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't behave like that all the time. But it is what it is. We don't get to dictate conditions. And if you need the pixels it does as good as the other options. Haven't tried a D850 in crop mode yet. I just got one but haven't shot much of anything yet.

D

Deleted member 13260

Just did some 100% crops of a bird in the shade at 3200 ISO and DxO Prime NR which usually impresses isn't up to it in my eyes. Plain grey plumage doesn't help.

Real Name
Randy
Just did some 100% crops of a bird in the shade at 3200 ISO and DxO Prime NR which usually impresses isn't up to it in my eyes. Plain grey plumage doesn't help.
IMO Nothing can fix any DX body at 3200, the d500 is the best ever but is not usable to me over 1600, I’ve seen lots of good shots at higher iso on the d500 and I have no idea how they do it

Real Name
Randy
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't behave like that all the time. But it is what it is. We don't get to dictate conditions. And if you need the pixels it does as good as the other options. Haven't tried a D850 in crop mode yet. I just got one but haven't shot much of anything yet.
I sold my D850. The D5 is so much better than any camera at AF, ISO, and speed. I had almost $4K in the D850 and my used D5 was $4700. The D850 is a better camera at pure IQ but I don’t always shoot in pure IQ conditions. The D850 burned me bad in Texas on fast moving birds and the D5 was near perfect. I did the same trip last December with the D4 and the difference was startling, as in breakthrough technology. The AF is unreal

Generally I avoid using the D500 in situations where low light / high ISO are required.
The D4 does so very much better in those cases. But if in doubt, convert to B&W

It is grainy and noisy, but there is still a lot of detail going on.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom