Real world testing LONG POST

Well...I have been trying to get all the detail I can out of my D300 at higher ISO's as I do not yet have enough $$ saved to go buy the D300s, yet:wink:

So, I have tried to expand my previous limits on ISO, which was 800 for me. I am happy to say, I have gone beyond that and am fine with the results. We have been socked in with some cloudy weather for a long period of time. This weekend however, offered me a window to get out and do some testing on REAL subjects.

While working the other day burning some brush piles at my folks place, I saw that one of their Lilac bushes was busy with birds. A quick glance over there and I saw several Tufted Titmouse and Black capped Chickadee's. I happen to want KILLER shots of both of those and decided I would try my luck there.

These two shots were shot LATE that evening. Sun was about to set, but was already behind the trees, Both shots were taken at ISO 1600, in low light, and these are HUGE crops. I wanted to do something that would normally worsen the noise...big crops...with high ISO generates copious amounts of noise, and that is what I wanted:smile:.

No NR was applied to the subjects at all, the background recieved my normal work flow for removing noise, and more could be done to clean that up more. I am very pleased with the final result. Pixel peepers would not be so happy, but all I am worried or concerned with is how it will print. These will print up big and be fine, thus I am quite happy.:biggrin:

Taken with D300, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/7.1, ISO 1600 , 1/800th SS, and more importantly, this is a 81% crop

5387_ISO1600_s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 82% crop
5391_ISO1600_s.jpg

Then, the next morning, I was there in my blind again trying to get a truly killer shot with a clean background. I will admit, in the pre dawn I stuck this branch into the bush so it would stick out into the open. I hoped one would perch on it and offer the shot I wanted. I picked the angkle of light, perch location to line up with this background, which is natural. I thought the colors would compliment the target species for this morning, which was a Tufted Titmouse.

I made one mistake...I was set up too close and my DOF was much too thin. I measured the distance and it was 16 feet. I did the math (Thanks Flew) and calculated the DOF and it is only 1/4" thick with the settings I had. Thus, I did not get all the bird in focus. My next outing there I hope to remedy that:wink:

Taken with a D300, 600VR, f/4, ISO 400, 1/1600th SS, nearly full frame, crop for composition only.

5437_s.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to show, though it may not be the best images above, that high ISO shots can indeed be done while retaining a high degree of feather detail with the D300. I will continue to work on this and try to get cleaner files yet. Lastly, all post work was done in NX2:biggrin:.

Oh yea...not done as this shot was close but not what I wanted due to the extreme narrow DOF. So will try again for this one AND the BC Chickadee...got to love back yard birds!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the D300 and now the D300s. I think the af is a little better, I like the dual cards - there seems to be a tiny less noise. However, there really isn't much difference. You have shown the D300 is quite good. Nailing the proper exposure is the key.

Thanks Allan. The first two were tests...which could be better, and I will try, but I am happy with them regardless. For such large crops, I think the files are very clean considering the ISO.

As to the D300s...right now, that is our only choice. I waited too long to buy my back up body and thus all the D300 bodies are gone (new). So I will be buying a D300s so that I have two bodies for my upcoming trip to the great north chasing owls.

That said, the D300 is still a fine camera and you hit the nail on the head in regards to limiting high ISO noise. Nailing the exposure is a must. I should have stated that I tried to expose as far as to the right as I could without clipping. I then brought it back down in post. Usually 1/3rd of a stop over exposed is all that was needed. The highlight warning blinkies on the D300 are quite aggressive. I find that if you get a small amount of blinkies, the data is not lost and can be recovered in post. I try not to hit the right side of the histogram, but indeed do get close sometimes:wink:.

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to more trials soon.

Your experience fits with mine, Jason. I have no interest in a D300s as my D300 focuses very well and if I hit the exposure right, the noise control is quite good. I've been shooting at iso 1000 more often. Every Nikon I've had give you a little lead room on the right of the histogram.

Your images tell the story... well done!

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the feedback. Yep, the old D300:wink:can produce clean files at higher ISO's too...now if I could just find a nice D300 with low acuations for my back up body. Want to have one for my trip north to chase Owls this winter!

I really like what you have done/accomplished with the d300 at the higher ISO.
Being a fellow d300 and NX2 user, would you care to share/expound on your post process technique using NX2 as it relates to your comment of "...the background received my normal work flow for removing noise, and more could be done to clean that up more."

Thanks,

I really like what you have done/accomplished with the d300 at the higher ISO.
Being a fellow d300 and NX2 user, would you care to share/expound on your post process technique using NX2 as it relates to your comment of "...the background received my normal work flow for removing noise, and more could be done to clean that up more."

Thanks,

David see this thread. NOTE: I could have been clearer on some steps in this process. For instance, I stated to do all color adjustments, etc...before NR, I then state my workflow for NR. FIRST thing that should be done, if your doing it the way I do it, is to make sure all NR is set to OFF when you open the NEF. I now shoot with it shut off in camera. There are some other folks who replied in this thread that offer their methods too. After you read this link, if you have any further questions, please let me know. I will help you out all I can. There are a few further steps that can be taken on extreme images...but that is a bridged to be crossed another time.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=250927

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, these are terrific, and at the end of the day, if they meet your needs, that's all that matters. I wish I was close to your ability as I too have the D300, but not the ability yet. In this day and age I think there is too much of an emphasis on the technical aspect of a photgraph anyway. (Maybe that's my excuse for not having the greatest of abilities yet :) ) But that's what keeps me coming out again, trying to better what I did last time!

Latest threads

Top Bottom