Real world use???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TR_Fox, Jun 21, 2005.

1. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Does anyone in the cafe own the Tokina 80-200mm f/2/8 AT-X 828 AF Pro?

I am thinking about shelling out some cash next month and would like some real world review on this piece of glass.

It is in my current price range. :wink:

Any imput would be great.

2. Apparently no one on the Cafe has one, Tim. The favorites seem to be the Nikon 70/80-200, and the Sigma 70-200.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at a Tokina instead of one of these proven lenses???

3. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Frank I was guessing that was the case.

I had a 70-300mm Sigma and was not happy with the quality of the Lens or the lack of sharpness. OK it was also very slow.

The Glass and the internal focusing on the Tokina looks pretty good in the specs.

I am in the process of buying equipment for the studio and a saving of $150 at this point is a good idea. That is if the Lens is worth it.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't have one, but I've heard nothing but good about the Sigma 70-200. Of course you can still find the older 80-200 Nikkors are bargain prices too. Last March, I came across a push/pull 80-200, brand new, in the box, full warranty, yada yada yada, for four hundred and change.

5. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks for the info Chis.

Is that a 2.8? Were are you finding equipment here in this area?

I have heard that the sigma is the best thing since sliced bread and other say they would not own one.

The all metal construction is a plus for me with the Tokina. I am little rough on my out door adventures. That is why most of the time I still shoot the N90s. I am not too sure how the D70 will hold up.