Realize how blessed/lucky we are...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backdoctor, Dec 24, 2005.

1. here is a post I wrote at DPReview, after looking at a stupid complaint about the strap on the D200. While we NC folks tend not to complain like there, I thought it might bring some perspective to things in general. The title of the post was "Stop the complaining"

"I've never understood all the complaints here. First, nikon doesnt upgrade their bodies fast enough, then they dont announce it as we like, then they dont make enough to satisfy us in the first shipment, then the straps arent good enough, and of course every once in a while one fails out of the box so they're all bad....etc.

Dont get me wrong, I am ecstatic that the D200 has been made, delivered and folks are getting it.....

But complaints that it hasnt arrived fast enough,etc.... while I can understand the anticipation, the complaints seem trivial right now.

I am going to a patients house, who called in tears. This is a man, my age, who's son died last night at when he aspirated vomit in his sleep. He lost his son at Christmas, and his son was 27.

I dont treat these things, but I came to my office for our Xmas party and now will leave to try and be of some comfort. But what can I say or do to help?

So maybe you can see why the complaints here are more trivial than ever.

Enjoy what you have, enjoy your family, jobs and gear. Perhaps you dont know how really lucky or blessed you are.

My best wishes to you all, and your families for a wonderful holiday season, and make sure you give those loved ones and extra hug, and perhaps appreciate them a bit more.."

so off I go to Wayne's house. Hope I can be of some comfort in a terrible time. I dont cherish doing this, but I can tell he was looking for someone to talk to. He didnt have an appt. here today, just needed to talk.

Happy Holidays to my NC family here..

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Concur

Harris, you have it right. All of us should be thankful and more than a little humble. I hope you are able to be of some comfort to the gentleman. Bless you for what you do.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I have been pondering a reply.....

and first, Harris, it is attitudes and actions like yours that make the Cafe the place it is, and which on a more personal level, bring me to say "Thanks" to you once again.

Good on Ya, mate, both for what you are doing on a personal level for these folks as well as for putting a bit more perspective on this.

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope there is a little place in everyones thoughts this season to recognize those less fortunate as well as to acknowledge how we have all been blessed.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Could not agree more.

God Bless Harris,
    family and special patients.

Love and Hugs

6. Solomon's Perspective

Eccl 7:2
    It is better to go to a house of mourning
    than to go to a house of feasting,
    NIV

Thanks for reminding us that all this D200 stuff is just for fun, and that we should remember people who are hurting and try to give comfort.

Merry Christmas,

7. Thank you, Harris, and Merry Christmas

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Truer Words Could Never Have Been Written

Your insight is wonderfully stated, Harris. I have been a firefighter/paramedic for almost 30 years and I have witnessed many horrible things during my career. Your advice to appreciate just how good we have it is very practical in nature. I thank you for putting it out in this thread so we all can benefit from it. No better time than this weekend to reach out and hug/telephone everyone who you love...blessing should never be taken for granted.

Happy Holidays to you Harris and to your family as well...may the magic of Christmas bless you all.

9. Harris, you put it all into perspective. So many lose sight of what really counts. I went to the funeral of a good friend who died last week.. only 3 years older than I am. Standing room only at the service... This year has been particularly horrible on personal and global levels.... Thankyou for being so kind at this difficult time.

"I go to sleep, counting my blessings"....

10. Harris,

Absolutely 100% correct. I do get excited about new "things", but after all
    that is all they are "things."

You may feel like there is nothing you can do, but just being there is one of the best things to do when someone we love has died.

11. Hey, I never said dont be excited. Be excited about it all, just realize how lucky you are when something may not go your way...Look at what others have to deal with.

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Harris, that is one of the reasons I stopped posting and even reading the Nikon D70 forum over on DPR... People that don't understand there is more to life than Nikon...
    Life is short and should be enjoyed everyday.
    Have a Merry Christmas

13. Happy Holidays Harris!!
    Thanks for keeping it all in perspective!!!