1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Really Low Light Shoot

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by dspeed, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Friday, they are going to hold a candle-light tour of the facilities at Fort Stanton, NM with Civil War reinactors (central NM in the mountains, near Lincoln).

I'm wondering what I can do with the D700 there. Probably 3200, maybe 6400. I have a 50 f1.4, but the DOF there is pretty challenging. That leaves the 24-70. Tripods probably not an option.

I did a little searching, but didn't see much work with candles. Anybody with some shots to post?

Dave

2. jhelms

jhelms

Sep 25, 2008
    Columbus, GA
    I don't have my D700 in hand yet, but from what I've read 6400 should be no problem. You might run some -1.0 exp compensation though as the meter will probably try to expose more than you need in candlelight.

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Don't have any examples online but 4000 ISO and 6400 ISO are childs play for the D700. Don't sweat it, especially if you have a 50 1.4 :wink:

4. I agree with Julien on this issue. One of the first things I did when I got my D700 was to shoot a bunch of test photos under low light at high ISO. What a fantastic camera! My previous DSLR was a Pentax k-10D... it produced a fairly good image at ISO 400 but there was a lot of noise at 800. I did a series of test shots with the D700 all away to ISO 25,000, started to get a bit noisy at that level but was perfectly usable at 6400. Go for it!

5. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    How about using auto-iso? Set the max at 6400, and then whatever SS threshold you deem appropriate. In this way, the ISO becomes stepless i.e you may see some very unusual ISO numbers on the reviewed images. I also recommend that you review a few shots along the way in case soemthing needs to be tweaked.

6. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Thanks -

The -1.0 is probably a good start; it might need more. I usually run autoiso w a 1600 ceiling with a 30th shutter speed threshold.

I was also thinking of going manual focus and keep the little light off - it's kinda rude in some circumstances (like this).

I'll probably start out w the 24-70 and put the 50 in my pocket if the tests go well.

The trip looks like a go now, so I'll try a couple of practice shots at home tonight.

Dave

7. kaska

kaska

Apr 17, 2009
    NY
    This shot was taken outdoor at night at a carnival. I was using 24-70, and had to push the iso to 6400. This was better of the shots, I was using A/P so a lot of shots came out a little to dark with shutter speed of 1/200 ( i really don't know why a/p was being so dumb that night.) Also, sometimes I had to push the camera to Hi-1.

I know this shot makes it seem like there was a lot of light... but it was actually pretty dark even with those headlights. I think those are just for shows.

3787127273_3c1f66349a_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

8. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    If a tripod is "probably" not an option, maybe a monopod is...that could help a LOT.

9. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Jerry -

You're right, 'ceptin this is Carlsbad, NM and there likely isn't a monopod in 150 miles.

Fear not; I've got a lot of experience in creative leaning. <g>

It's just that I really love the *sharp* images that the D700 and 24-70 can produce, and am trying to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible.
    Heck - I handhold at 1/10 when forced. (With a pulse of 60, there are a few advantages...)

Dave

10. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    Monopods are definitely woth having in the arsenal. I think you can pick one up for $30 or less. I wish mine were a little shorter when folded up. Having it the length of or shorter than my bag would be nice. It's a 3-section, a 4-section should be shorter.

11. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I wouldn't be afraid of going to at least iso 3200. I don't notice a big difference in noise between 1600 and 3200.

12. 6400 is no big deal to me, it still looks a lot better than 1600 on the D200. In fact only at 25600 would I call it a bit ugly, and even that really only depends on output size.

13. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Well, when we went to make reservations, all of the slots were full. It turded out that they are only running 6 groups of 10 people through.

Looks like I'll start looking for a monopod and do some practicing for next year.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

14. MMPG1

MMPG1

May 10, 2009
    Germany
    Hi Dave,
    I would set the ISO to 4000. You get great results there, better than at 6400, and high enough to take the pictures. Just get the exposure right (I would expose a bit "brighter"), and you will love the results.
    Good luck!
    And please share some of the photos afterwards :smile:.

15. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    Wel, that's a bummer...maybe somebody will cancel;) 

16. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    With 60 slots filled, there were 40 people on the waiting list.

17. jhelms

jhelms

Sep 25, 2008
    Columbus, GA
    Got my D700 a few days ago and set autoISO to 6400 right off the bat, it's working awesome. Here's a few from a shoot I did last night at a local videogame playing store (note, it was VERY VERY DARK inside). Handheld, no flash, no VR, etc.

618469499_KARvU-M.jpg

618477288_cnjHL-M.jpg

618481365_oKSZn-M.jpg

618466357_gNcvY-M.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.