Really Need Help Now

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by seabee1999, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Good day to all. A few days ago I purchased a new printer (Epson 2200). I had it plugged in and set to go. I was tasked to make a few prints of some photos I took for my boss so he can hand them out to people tomorrow. The issue is that my prints are coming out rather erratically from what I am seeing on my monitor. Please help!!! I need to get this done and I am don't fully understand how to calibrate the monitor to the printer. Computers are not my thing and at times I can be rather computer illiterate.

R/
    Dave

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Tough spot you're in. Color management and printing are very deep areas that take some time to get a handle on.

Here's a sort of tutorial I made recently for another list. If you can follow it, your prints should come out more or less as you see them on screen.

First, your custom view in PS should be set to the printer ICC profile you're using. Also check "use black point compensation". Then select your color intention. Relative Colormetric is a more neutral color space, Perceptual a bit more pumped up. Your choice. In PS on a PC you will get a reasonable facsimile of what the print would look like when you toggle Control+Y. That will change your screen view between your working space (probably aRGB) and the print preview you set up in custom view.

Then you need to make some choices under Photoshop's 'print with preview'. There are several ways to manage the print by selecting an appropriate 'source space' and 'print space'. Here is the way I do it:

Spource space: document>Adobe RGB. This takes advantage of the custom view settings you made in PS.

Print Space: Profile and color intent should be the same as selected in Custom View.

Depending on your printer, you will need to navigate to the 'color management' part of the pre print set up. Its usually burried after you select size, paper type, etc. Make sure color management method states, "managed by application".

If you have a properly calibrated monitor, this set up should give you a very good facsimile of what your print will look like and you'll stop wasting time fumbling around with printer color adjustments. In fact, other than outlined above, you should never tweak color adjustments in your printer set up dialogue if printing photographs.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    another possibility to get something usefull in a hurry is to not print from Photoshop, but instead (FYI I use a mac) print form the viewing utility that comes with your CPU on a mac it is Preview and let the printer software do al the work and adjust the global printer adjustments i.e saturation, amount of ink, heavy, light, etc in the epson software in other words the auto settings, and try to match the output to the monitor. Easier to get it pretty close this way instead of PS, for this emergency situation.

But as mike said, just use the quick global auto adjustments in the print menu, and don't fool with the detailed printer settings, etc. Try the full auto print in the Epson setup if i recall.

We have good luck at work with our 2200 and preview on our mac labs, we just increase the amount of ink for the paper we use.

Good luck

4. Mike and Wade,

Thank you both for your help. I did make some adjustments as you had suggested. Due to time, in the end I went to Walgreens here in town to help me out. I will now devote time to learning the finer points of color management so that way I don't run into this problem again. Any more suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
    David

5. My 2400 came with a manual that clearly walks the user through, step by step, the entire process and it's very easy to follow... a VERY rare occurrence.

If Epson offers Premium ICC profiles for your printer, download them and use them... they are MUCH better than the ones that come with the printer. Also, use one kind of paper only to get started. Not all finishes produce the same colors.

Do your proofing on 4x6 paper. It saves on ink. If you have a Costco nearby, get their 300 pack of Kirkland 4x6, 10 mil, glossy paper for $14... If that stuff isn't the same thing as Epson paper it's as close you can get. I print 13x19 and unfortunately they don't make the Kirkland paper larger than letter size.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Jon Cone at www.InkjetMall.com sells custom profiles for most Epson papers/printers & ink. About $25 each, all better than the canned Epson profiles. I used these on my 1280 before I switched to an HP Designjet.

7. If you don't want to be too bothered with colour management I found that my 2100/2200 made good consistent prints straight from the box on epson paper if PS was set up to let the printer determine colours and the printer was set for custom mode with ICM selected for colour management.

I now do the whole colour management thing and am considerably poorer :frown::frown: