Reasons to come to the Nikon Cafe Picnic

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, May 16, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank (Flew) posted the invitation to the weekend get-together that the Nikon Cafe' is hosting the weekend of July 16th on Places to Shoot. We are really hoping many of you will join us. It is going to be a fun-filled weekend. We are working on trying to get lots of activities planned. As stated before, One of the locations that we'll be meeting is the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. It's such a lovely location and I thought some of you might like to see some of the things you might encounter there. So I took the liberty of taking a few shots over the weekend to give you an idea. And just think, these are my humble attempts....yours will be even better!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it's not just flowers....for those of you that like animals...there are a few of those too...in fact, patrick's going to try and put up a few from the butterfly garden in the next few days...
    [​IMG]

we look forward to seeing you all in july!...oh yeah....these were all taken w/Patrick's D2X....I had left my CoolPix in the Car...oops...silly me...

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Leigh. How did you like the X? Are you ready to take it away?? 8)

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Leigh, You got it wrong when you typed the equipment used. It's not Patricks D2X....it's OUR D2X. Especially after you acccidentally drop the coolpix in the pond!

Interesting angles on a couple of these. looks like you had an overcast day though. You need to work with the tripod and increase your depth of field a bit on some of these. you did good hand held with no sun. that's tough.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Seeing how these are the first pics I've looked at with the d2x I think you did an excellent job. Nice composition, exposure and, what delicate subjects.

Thanks for sharing these.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank....I liked the X pretty good...It was quite a bit heavier than my CoolPix, but what I came away w/as far as the shots I showed, I was pleased w/so it was quite worth the weight/wait :D (pun intended).

Greg...You are funny, but I actually enjoy shooting the CP8800 and wouldn't dream of dropping it in the pond! But I wouldn't mind if Patrick let me borrow the D2X from time to time either. I see where you would think I might need to increase my DOF, but that's the thing about photography as art, sometimes what one person sees isn't what another would see....The shots I posted are pretty much what I was going for so I was happy with them. And yes, they were hand held....We had the kids in tow w/a wagon so a tripod wasn't really in order. Glad to see you are signing up for the July Get-together I'm helping Patrick and Frank put together!

Patrick...thanks honey...and thanks for the help w/my post-processing!

6. Thanks for sharing these image Leigh. Image #2 is a fantastic shot and I like it a lot.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Leigh,

You did a wonderful job on these flowers. I would be pleased with the DOF, very pleasing on this end. Like you said we all see different.

Congratulations of the handling of the D2XXX great job. You are really going to need a DSLR.

I still have my CP5000 but never take it out anymore. :<(( and I really do love the camera. Just can't put the SLR down. More of a challenge I guess.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon....there's just something about daisies that I love to shoot. Maybe because they are so simple. It's like a beautiful lady in front of the camera...doesn't need much help...just point and shoot! I'm glad you liked it.

Gale...Thanks so much. I really am thinking seriously about a DSLR, but right now I don't see any reason why Patrick and I can't share (unless he says otherwise)....and since I have given birth to two very healthy children for him, I don't see why he would! :roll:

Cheers to you all!

9. Nice shots Leigh! You didn't seem to have any trouble adjusting to the 2X. I wish I was down in your neck of the woods to sign up for the picnic, but sadly :( its a long way from here.

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks so much!

We have an airport right here in Huntsville, Al....Huntsville Internation Airport....And Patrick has arranged for group rates at a local hotel. Check it out in the Places to Shoot.....We would love for you to be able to come and visit with us.

11. Beautiful shots - looks like P has lost his camera for good!! LOL Sure wish I cd be there for the picnic but I'll be there in spirit.

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi, we wish you could be here! There's still lot's of time...maybe you could swing down this way??? :lol: But if you can't we'll all make sure to post pics so you can see what went on....

As to Patrick losing him camera...hmmm, I doubt he'll let it out of his sight long enough for me to start calling it mine.... :( That's okay though....he's generous and share's with me...So I don't mind one bit....Besides, I do have the CP8800 that has done pretty well for me!

Cheers!