Rebates already in the Z’s S lenses look like they are coming

Wow, I wonder why They are duscounting. Maybe because sales are down I figure. This does not bode well for nikon I figure. They missed the mark with these bodies vs Sony and the market going to hurt them. I will be watching next quarters earnings closely to see if this is true.

Real Name
Ken
I have not seen the discounts, but yes, sales are down in the entire industry. And, Nikon typically runs a lot of discounts prior to the holiday season until early into the new year. Perhaps they are hoping to jump the gun and get folks to commit to purchases before things start to heat up for the holiday season?

--Ken

Wow, I wonder why They are duscounting. Maybe because sales are down I figure. This does not bode well for nikon I figure. They missed the mark with these bodies vs Sony and the market going to hurt them. I will be watching next quarters earnings closely to see if this is true.
Any hard evidence here or are these just your thoughts?

My take is that manufacturing cost are cheaper with the Z mount bodies and lenses. Less need to calibrate mechanical focusing mechanisms, while maintaining high price margins. I think Nikon has quite a bit of flex in pricing and even if they're selling less, profits are higher.

Any hard evidence here or are these just your thoughts?
They started discounting in Europe so it will eventually get to the US. I looked over their financials last quarter and the numbers show a definite downtrend. I would never invest in this company as a shareholder type of decline. Those financials are factual as is their sales decline in 206 they had sales of 841 billion yen last year they were just over 700 and the last quarter sales slowed further.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
My take is that manufacturing cost are cheaper with the Z mount bodies and lenses. Less need to calibrate mechanical focusing mechanisms, while maintaining high price margins. I think Nikon has quite a bit of flex in pricing and even if they're selling less, profits are higher.
The need for high quality elements and precision movement is just as important in the Z mount as it is in the F mount lenses. The higher quality the image exiting the back of the lens, the higher quality the image captured regardless of F or Z mount. The more precise movement and higher the quality of the lens elements, then the higher quality the image being projected onto the capture sensor and captured.

Real Name
Ian
This isn't the first time that Nikon has run promos for the Z system, and it certainly won't be the last.

Also, EVERY camera manufacturer does this at various times throughout the year. Sony, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc. Financial figures will be down from the previous year, but that's been a consistent theme with nearly all camera manufacturers as the market continues to shrink.

Every time a clothing store has a sale, do you think "This can't be good, they must be struggling"?

Well there quarter earns vs last year is way down. Last year it was 19 billion yen this year it is 9 so yes I do think it is a cashflow issue.

They started discounting in Europe so it will eventually get to the US. I looked over their financials last quarter and the numbers show a definite downtrend. I would never invest in this company as a shareholder type of decline. Those financials are factual as is their sales decline in 206 they had sales of 841 billion yen last year they were just over 700 and the last quarter sales slowed further.
Would you say Sony is having problems as well then?
--> https://alphauniverse.com/promos/promo-list/

Real Name
Ian
I picked up the Z50mm/f1.8 earlier this year when Nikon offered the lens at a big discount, saved around £220 on the launch price plus I p/x'd a couple of dust gathering lenses to make the exchange very reasonable indeed. Nothing in the current promotions appeals, I will see what next years offerings are like.

Unless I absolutely need the lens when it is launched I will wait as most Lenses seem to get a discount 12-18 months into their production run, might as well save a few £'s.

Real Name
Ian
I picked up the Z50mm/f1.8 earlier this year when Nikon offered the lens at a big discount, saved around £220 on the launch price plus I p/x'd a couple of dust gathering lenses to make the exchange very reasonable indeed. Nothing in the current promotions appeals, I will see what next years offerings are like.

Unless I absolutely need the lens when it is launched I will wait as most Lenses seem to get a discount 12-18 months into their production run, might as well save a few £'s.
How do you like the 50/1.8 S?

I’ve been thinking of picking one up, and the discount puts prices pretty much in line with what used copies are going for. I’ve got a 58/1.4G already, but the 50/1.8 S would be a native mount lens.

$500 for 50mm 1.8S is great deal, for that quality of the lens.
I'm interested in 14-30/4 since I already have the three primes, but not sure to buy or not since I want to buy Z50 body.
Should I sell 24-70/4S and get 14-30/4S because of redundancy?Humm

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom