Rebates already in the Z’s S lenses look like they are coming

Real Name
Ian
$500 for 50mm 1.8S is great deal, for that quality of the lens.
I'm interested in 14-30/4 since I already have the three primes, but not sure to buy or not since I want to buy Z50 body.
Should I sell 24-70/4S and get 14-30/4S because of redundancy?Humm
Don’t sell the 24-70/4. There isn’t that much redundancy with the 14-30.

I have both, and love them. The 14-30 is a fantastic piece of glass. I used it extensively in England earlier this year, and love the results.

How do you like the 50/1.8 S?

I’ve been thinking of picking one up, and the discount puts prices pretty much in line with what used copies are going for. I’ve got a 58/1.4G already, but the 50/1.8 S would be a native mount lens.
Really like it, nice and sharp (that goes without saying in this day and age), Bokeh is nice, and the AF is great for what I have used it for, mainly indoor portraits of my mother recording her battle against dementia. My only criticism is that it is not by any stretch of the imagination a 'nifty fifty', it is a sizeable chunk of glass, metal and plastic on the front of the camera. The lens is well built though and I have no worries about it falling apart in a few years. Bought with a discount its okay value wise, bought at launch price not so good (sorry to those that bought when it came out).

I have always used a 50mm since I started in photography back in the 1980's, so having one for my Z7 was always going to happen, the launch price put me off but glad I have it now.

Real Name
Ian
Until the day before Thanksgiving.

I wonder if there’ll be better discounts for Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

I’m potentially toying with the idea of selling my 85/1.4 G and picking up the 85/1.8 S, by would want to do so when there’s a discount on the lens. But the 85/1.4 G is such a good lens, and pulls double-duty as a ~135mm on my D500’s.

Until the day before Thanksgiving.

I wonder if there’ll be better discounts for Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

I’m potentially toying with the idea of selling my 85/1.4 G and picking up the 85/1.8 S, by would want to do so when there’s a discount on the lens. But the 85/1.4 G is such a good lens, and pulls double-duty as a ~135mm on my D500’s.
Nikon's best deals are when they end their quarter and shut down operations to tally inventory, check their books, etc. which I believe is end of March. Though it might be a good idea to check their refurbished inventory for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They usually run deep discounts.

Honestly Nikon's 85mm 1.4 is due for an update. All the latest 85mm 1.4 lenses perform much better in regards to wide open performance, CA control and faster focusing AF motors.

Real Name
Ian
Nikon's best deals are when they end their quarter and shut down operations to tally inventory, check their books, etc. which I believe is end of March. Though it might be a good idea to check their refurbished inventory for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They usually run deep discounts.

Honestly Nikon's 85mm 1.4 is due for an update. All the latest 85mm 1.4 lenses perform much better in regards to wide open performance, CA control and faster focusing AF motors.
My only real complaint with the 85/1.4 G is the green CA wide open. Other than that, it's a pretty damn good lens.

As far as comparisons with other fast 85's, Nikon's is the smallest and lightest (although when you put it on the FTZ, it's basically the same size and weight as Sony's 85/1.4 GM). Canon's native 85/1.2 is hilariously large, heavy, and expensive. Their adapted 85/1.4 made for DSLRs weighs nearly 45% more than Nikon's. And don't even get me started on the Sigma ART 85/1.4, lol.

Nikon's not going to update the F-mount lens. The next fast 85mm they make will be for the Z mount, but we know that's not coming for quite a while because there's no hint of it on the roadmap for the next 2-3 years. And even when it comes out, it'll be far to rich for my blood.

I'll wait to see what sort of deals pop up for the 85/1.8 S, and make a decision at that point as to whether or not I want to sell the 85/1.4 G. Despite being 9 years old, it's still a fantastic piece of glass and works very well on my Z6 (as do all of my G lenses).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My only real complaint with the 85/1.4 G is the green CA wide open. Other than that, it's a pretty damn good lens.

As far as comparisons with other fast 85's, Nikon's is the smallest and lightest (although when you put it on the FTZ, it's basically the same size and weight as Sony's 85/1.4 GM). Canon's native 85/1.2 is hilariously large, heavy, and expensive. Their adapted 85/1.4 made for DSLRs weighs nearly 45% more than Nikon's. And don't even get me started on the Sigma ART 85/1.4, lol.

Nikon's not going to update the F-mount lens. The next fast 85mm they make will be for the Z mount, but we know that's not coming for quite a while because there's no hint of it on the roadmap for the next 2-3 years. And even when it comes out, it'll be far to rich for my blood.

I'll wait to see what sort of deals pop up for the 85/1.8 S, and make a decision at that point as to whether or not I want to sell the 85/1.4 G. Despite being 9 years old, it's still a fantastic piece of glass and works very well on my Z6 (as do all of my G lenses).

View attachment 1649073
You forgot the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE! That's the lens I'm referring to in regards insanely good performance. I owned the 85mm 1.4 G years ago, but just from memory I find the Samyang to be a much better performer in every metric including sharpness, CA control and AF speed. The Sigma 85mm Art is a dog...I wouldn't haul that lens anywhere. The Samyang 85mm is also made in F-mount and user reports say it works well with the FTZ adapter. I'm using the Sony version and I'm blown away by how good it is, which also BTW works with the TZE-01 adapter.

Anyways, it's probably best to go with the 85mm 1.8 S, but since you have the FTZ adapter it's always good to have options!

Real Name
Ian
You forgot the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE! That's the lens I'm referring to in regards insanely good performance. I owned the 85mm 1.4 G years ago, but just from memory I find the Samyang to be a much better performer in every metric including sharpness, CA control and AF speed. The Sigma 85mm Art is a dog...I wouldn't haul that lens anywhere. The Samyang 85mm is also made in F-mount and user reports say it works well with the FTZ adapter. I'm using the Sony version and I'm blown away by how good it is, which also BTW works with the TZE-01 adapter.

Anyways, it's probably best to go with the 85mm 1.8 S, but since you have the FTZ adapter it's always good to have options!
I knew Samyang had an 85/1.4 AF lens for Sony's E mount, but I didn't know they had one for Nikon's F-mount. It's basically the same size as the Nikon 85/1.4 G (10mm shorter than the Nikon), and 100g less. No reviews on B&H though.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some Samyang lenses for the Z mount in the next year once they're able to crack that AF protocol.

I knew Samyang had an 85/1.4 AF lens for Sony's E mount, but I didn't know they had one for Nikon's F-mount. It's basically the same size as the Nikon 85/1.4 G (10mm shorter than the Nikon), and 100g less. No reviews on B&H though.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some Samyang lenses for the Z mount in the next year once they're able to crack that AF protocol.
Someone did review the Nikon version, but she's a Samyang sponsored photographer:
https://www.francescadani.com/Blog/Samyang-AF85mmF

To be honest I'd probably hold off on getting third party glass in F-mount and go native, since AF adjustment issues aren't as pronounced with mirrorless. Though Samyang still offers a USB dock for Sony which is necessary to update the FW, fine-tune AF, adjust MF ring, etc., so it'll probably be the same with Nikon if and/or when they make native Z lenses.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom