Reccommend a book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MicroChip, Nov 2, 2005.

1. MicroChip

MicroChip

Oct 29, 2005
    Can anybody recommend a book to help in my transition from Coolpix to D50 that will help me understand things like f, iso, exposure, so that I can start to use less of the automated modes and more of the manual modes of the camera?

I was looking at PC Photo Digital SLR Handbook by Rob Sheppard amongst other things at Abebooks.com

Thanks!
    MC

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Chip,

I recommend that you head off to your local bookstore and get your hands on a Magic Lantern Guide specifically for the Nikon D50. I have one for my N65, F100 and D2h...and I have found them to be great at offering insight to just about every function on these camera bodies.

3. Most handbooks do a great job of explaining features, but not when/how to use them to greatest advantage. I sounds like you need a more comprehensive tutorial to bring you up to speed. I'd recommend Peter iNova's ebook. He doesn't have one for the d50, but the d70 is darned close, and he offers a wealth of background info, not just "this button does that". Here's a link to an overview of the d70 ebook.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/D70/D70FAQ.html

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great recommendation, Frank...maybe Thom Hogan's e-book is another quality option as well.

5. MicroChip

MicroChip

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Did I spell reccommend right in the topic? Ah well...

I think I read on dpreview's forum that Peter iNova's got a D50 iBook coming out very soon, although I'm not sure I'm in to it because I read on the bus every day as I commute in and out of the city.

Thanks!
    MC

6. Microchip, check your local library (county library) you will be amazed at what they have!!

Our county has a cool system that lets you reserve books and have them sent to the local branch for pickup...they have so many books it is astounding.

One of my favorites that I recently read was the Jon Cox book on Digital Nature Photography.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Hands down, Thom Hogan's e-book. You can take it to Kinko's or the like and have it printed if you prefer.

8. Tom Ang writes, I think, a good book, "The Digital Photographers Handbook". It's been updated, so the one you get in the library (try it there first) may be an edition behind, but it's still pretty good. Difficult to pack into the field though.

Mark

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Between the iNova and Hogan ebooks I'm going to have to side with Uncle Frank here. The Hogan ebooks is great at covering everything the user manual should have, and doing so in fairly easy to understand language, but that's really as far as it goes. The iNova ebook is much broader and will give you a nice introduction to photography in general, covering the basics of exposure and composition, as well as digital stuff like reading a histogram.

You can always get the Hogan book and look elsewhere for the general photography stuff (I mean hey you can never have too many photography books, I've read dozens in the last two years), but for one-stop shopping I think the iNova book would be a good place to sharp.

10. For good info about your camera the Hogan Book is great. I have the D70/s version of this book. I am not sure if he has the D50 version out yet?
    You can check here: http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

Also, I am waiting for the Reznik E-Book 2nd Edition due out in November sometime. His site is here I believe: http://www.digital-images.net/

11. I haven't read all the replies, but I don't see anyone recommending a quick course in SLR photography. Although books that show you where all the settings are located is fine, none appear to explain WHY and WHEN to adjust them.

It's a big leap from P&S to SLR and if you want to use your new gear to it's best advantage you're going to need some basic knowledge to build on.

Woody