received a weird email..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Picturepro, Sep 29, 2008.

1. It could be real, I do travel to events, something seems off

any thoughts?

This is the second email like this in the past two weeks
    is this the NEW spam?

I'M XXXX XXeditedXX ,MY WEDDING WILL BE COMING UP NEXT 3 MONTH ON THE .14TH OF DECEMBER ( AT THE ADDRESS BELOW). I WILL LIKE YOU TO BE THE PHTOGRAPHER FOR MY WEDDIING,I LOOK FORWARD TO A VERY BIG,SOCIAL AND COLOURFULL WEDDING,SO I WANT THE BEST OF PROFESIONAL JOB. YOU WILL BE WORKING FOR 3 HRS RECEPTION ONLY.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE DAY,ALSO I WILL LIKE YOU
    TO SEND YOUR TOTAL COST PLUS AIR TICKET FEES,MY PLANNER WILL BOOK THE HOTEL FOR YOUR COMING. MY PLANNER WHO IS IN THE UK AT PRESENT WILL TAKE CARE OF THE CHARGES MODE OF PAYMENT VIA CASHIER CHECK OR MONEY ORDER AND ALSO GET TO ME WITH YOUR FULL NAME AND CONTACT ADDRESS. I LOOK FORWARD IN HEARING FROM YOU SOONEST.

HERE IS THE RECEPTION ADDRESS SO AS TO CALCULATE THE TOTAL COSTING:-

Inter Continental Houston Hotel new
    XXXX cccc vvvvv bbbbb, nnnnn, Texas 77027 (edited)

BEST REGARDS
    XXXXX XXXXXXXX. (edited)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Looks about as dodgy as you can get really.

See if they will prepay total $ into your bankl account

3. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    All caps, lots of spelling and punctuation errors, Dec 14 is a Sunday, few weddings are held on Sunday...looks like the Nigerians have moved on from moving money to hiring photographers.

I wouldn't send them my home address if I were you.

4. How did they get your email? Do you have a website? If so, ya gotta ask yourself if your website is one that would likely pull a client from another state, yadda yadda yadda. I think it's dodgy, but at least they haven't asked you for money yet...

5. I very vaguely recall seeing threads about emails like this, at least a year ago. It's a scam.

6. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Usually cashier check or money order in craigslist emails are a red flag and also what John said about the errors and stuff.

7. http://www.casperphotographics.com/

I've never received Emails like this before.
    It's a tough economy and I look forward to new paying clients
    a lot of my clients live all over the USA

8. Thanks, bummer its not a real client

Owell :( 

9. Yep its a scam. I got the same one a while back. I also know of several others that did as well. They will pay you in advance plus extra then you send them the extra back but the original check is no good. I think that is how it works anyway.

10. Its a fake! Some one posted the same letter here awhile back.

11. Have fun with them, let them send you a big fat cheque to a general address, not your home address and then they'll think they've snagged another one. Tack the cheque up on your wall, sit back and wait for the email about where to send the extra money. Wait a few weeks, and then you can tell them that you've sent the extra to the 'planner'. One guy did this, blaming his secretary for sending it to the wrong address, then sending another and 'it got lost in the mail as well'. Drove the scammers nuts! :biggrin: He told them his bank was going to charge $100 to trace the cheque and he got them to pay for it! As long as you use a general address, no harm.

12. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Getting them to pay is the very best revenge and an object lesson.

13. Why in the world would they pay? They're using a fake check or money order, so there's no way to trace it in the first place.

14. You're missing the point in my answer. You tell them that you need the bank to trace YOUR cheque to the wedding planner which never arrived.

The whole thing is this: They send you, the photographer, a money order for $7,000. Your fee is $3,000. They say that the accountant who issued the cheque is away, so they want you to forward the remaining $4,000 to the wedding planner.

Their money order gets deposited into your bank but doesn't come back as counterfeit until weeks later. (Too many folks believe that a cheque or money order is good if the bank deposits it in their account.) In the meantime, you are supposed to have sent the $4,000 to the wedding planner. You keep telling them that you sent it, and that it has been taken out of your account, and then you say that your bank needs to trace it, for a $100 fee. You tell them that you're not paying that fee and make them pay it. If they think they're getting the $4K, they might fork over the $100. It's having fun with a scammer, getting them back at their own game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  15. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

That is hilarious about the payback and getting them to send the $100. Kind of makes sense if they are stupid...they will want to rush and beat you finding out about the 4K. I for one would avoid that just because I wouldn't want to have any connection to the bad sort that does things like that! What else are they capable of?

As far as the emails- what gives me the red flag is how much info they give you. No one ever gives that much info before you ever contact them back!!

16. I'm thinking you're missing one little, yet important detail in your plan. They sent you a COUNTERFEIT check to begin with. What in the world makes you think they're going to suddenly send a real (good) check to you for $100? Theory sounds good on paper, but worthless when played out. You deposit their initial check, then YOU have to cover the fee when it bounces. Go ahead and deposit their second $100 check to cover the supposed bank trace. That's another bounce fee you're going to be stuck with.

17. You're right, I forgot one detail.... you have to instruct them which bank draft your bank will accept for the fee payment. They actually have to go to a real bank for the $100 draft. A guy did it a while back and he actually managed to squeeze $250 in total out of them because they thought they were so close to the big payoff.

There are a lot of details regarding scamming them that I didn't include in here because they can be found at the 'scamming the scammers' site.

18. Well, be it as it may, I'm not so sure I want to give these criminals any of my information (banking info in particular) so they can come hunt me down once they realize they were the ones that got taken. Best to just ignore it all together IMHO. You don't know what these guys are capable of doing to you or your family.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.