Recent Trip on Prince William Sound

Real Name
Dan
Not knowing how much longer we'll be able to do this I've been trying to take more shots of the Sound than just the critters. Thought I'd share a few from a recent trip.

1) Shortly after leaving the harbor in Whittier we encountered a fog bank in Passage Canal.
p2660510595-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Essential equipment. GPS navigation on the laptop, radar, and a cuppa(coffee not that weak stuff).
p2660510607-6.jpg

3) I love this layered effect when it's hazy. This is Glacier Island and the most distant point is a headland called Bull Head. There is a sea lion haul out beach there and puffins nest on the (inaccessible)cliffs. Between the island and mainland is Columbia Bay which is the termination point of Columbia Glacier, one of the highest volume (floating)ice producing glaciers in the world.
p2660513765-6.jpg

4) Our first night's anchorage in Long Bay involved coming in through this narrow entrance in drizzling rain. On extreme low tides it gets too shallow to pass.
p2660513771-6.jpg

5) I've never been able to capture an image of the cliff in the BG that even remotely gives the sense of awe that I feel when I'm there. The cliff rises straight up over 1500ft with several feathery cascades coming down from the heights.
p2660513786-6.jpg

6) Walking the dog at another anchorage in Galena Bay which is about 10 hours travel time from home. In years past we launched much closer in Valdez and this was one of our favorite spots. Great blueberry picking in July/August.
p2662270252-6.jpg

7) 500mm floral shot. My bride wanted me to take a shot of the skunk cabbage which grows here in abundance. It smells exactly like its name sake. Bears eat the blooms.
p2662270165-6.jpg

8) The locals kept an eye on us.
p2662285489-6.jpg

9) Lovely morning light in Olsen Bay. I paddled around with the dog while the chef prepared our pancake breakfast.
p2662270213-6.jpg

10) The crew.
p2662276424-5.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wow! I absolutely LOVE these shots! You should definitely create more of them! I find #1-3 so interesting....I want to figure out each thing I see. And #4 is an incredible landscape! Did you try #5 in portrait orientation? I'd like to see that view also. And #10 is the most special one of the bunch!

Nice lifestyle, when I had my cabin cruiser I used to take a month out every summer for island cruising around the Salish sea.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well Dan, now I'm jealous!
All of your pictures are marvelous.
#1 and #2 reminds me to the movie "The Fog", but I love them.

The nature is simply overwhelming
Klaus

Real Name
Dan
I like them all but especially the first one.
Glad you enjoyed them, Allan. Yeah I should have pulled the camera out of the bag for that one rather than use the phone.

Nice lifestyle, when I had my cabin cruiser I used to take a month out every summer for island cruising around the Salish sea.
It's hard to beat. Getting more crowded down that way nowadays.
What a great collection! What a great way to travel!
And yes, you are so right about the coffee!
Thanks, Nick. I guess it's much like traveling in a motor home. Well plus that little detail that the boat might sink under you as you sleep :eek: When I was commercial fishing I hopped down out of a top bunk and landed ankle deep in water. That will wake you up.
Stunning set of images Dan, what wonderful country.
It is beautiful country, Louis.
Well Dan, now I'm jealous!
All of your pictures are marvelous.
#1 and #2 reminds me to the movie "The Fog", but I love them.

The nature is simply overwhelming
Klaus
Thanks for commenting, Klaus. Sometimes it is hard to take it all in. Hoping I never get so that I take it for granted.

Real Name
Dan
Wow! I absolutely LOVE these shots! You should definitely create more of them! I find #1-3 so interesting....I want to figure out each thing I see. And #4 is an incredible landscape! Did you try #5 in portrait orientation? I'd like to see that view also. And #10 is the most special one of the bunch!
Glad you enjoyed the post, Karen. On the way home it was a beautiful day so we stopped off Bull Head and caught a couple of small halibut.

I have tried portrait orientation. Both in the past and this same day. With a landscape lens the FG is too prominent and the lagoon isn't large enough to back off and compress the scene with a longer lens. At least not while keeping the boat in the scene. Below are a couple that I tried without including the FG in the scene. IMO the scene really needs to come all the way down to the water for full effect. I need to try from out in the bay before we enter the lagoon.

11) Attempt at portrait orientation. This is actually a full vertical crop out of a horizontal frame.
p2663174485-6.jpg

12) And another shot vertical. I clipped the large rock face in an attempt to keep the waterfall on the thirds line.
p2663174482-6.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad you enjoyed the post, Karen. On the way home it was a beautiful day so we stopped off Bull Head and caught a couple of small halibut.

I have tried portrait orientation. Both in the past and this same day. With a landscape lens the FG is too prominent and the lagoon isn't large enough to back off and compress the scene with a longer lens. At least not while keeping the boat in the scene. Below are a couple that I tried without including the FG in the scene. IMO the scene really needs to come all the way down to the water for full effect. I need to try from out in the bay before we enter the lagoon.

11) Attempt at portrait orientation. This is actually a full vertical crop out of a horizontal frame.
View attachment 1685362

12) And another shot vertical. I clipped the large rock face in an attempt to keep the waterfall on the thirds line.
View attachment 1685363
Hmmmmm....... I like #1 Have you thought about a vertical pano of horizontal images? Or - Do you have a 14-24 or similar lens? Geez, I'd sure like to take the challenge of getting that shot!

Real Name
Dan
#4 and 5 really make you want to go there.
Come on up. Alaska can use all the visitors we can get. Covid has been tough on us.
Hmmmmm....... I like #1 Have you thought about a vertical pano of horizontal images? Or - Do you have a 14-24 or similar lens? Geez, I'd sure like to take the challenge of getting that shot!
No didn't really think about a vertical pano. From this POV I don't think a wider angle lens would help. Oh well, something to think about for next time we pass that way.
What a fantastic post!! I loved seeing all your wonderful photos. Looks like a wonderful lifestyle. My favorite is No. 3.
Glad you enjoyed the post, Terri. We do enjoy it. We tolerate Alaska the rest of the year for the summers and boating. And, of course, for our family we've found up here.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I enjoyed your voyage. Lovely place and lovely photographs.

Real Name
Dan
great series - #3 now on the front page, drew me in
Thanks, Phil. It's a pleasant surprise to have a landscape image nominated for the front page (thank you, Terri).
What an awesome adventure, #1 is a beautiful capture. All of them make me wish for a younger me and for a fresh adventure. Well done.
Thanks for commenting, Tom. We are certainly bless to live where we do and to have the health and resources to be able to enjoy it.
I enjoyed your voyage. Lovely place and lovely photographs.
Glad you enjoyed the post, Nigel. My wife would prefer to be visiting closer to where you live. Soon maybe...

Though I always admire your photos of the critters, I've always enjoyed your landscape photos even more for the simple reason that I tend to like landscapes so much.

In Photo #10, I get the distinct feeling that Grace is feeling very regal and wishing the two folks weren't even allowed to be in the photo. :D

Not knowing how much longer we'll be able to do this

Is there any particular reason you're having that thought? I'm asking for purely selfish reasons, as I'd really miss being able to see your photos of your outings on the boat.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom