Recent Trip to Eastern Europe - 9 cities

Hi,

Wanted to share some photos from my recent trip to Eastern Europe. My wife and I visited Frankfurt, Nuremberg and Castle district of Swangau (Germany), Prague (Czech republic), Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary), Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck (Austria).

I will post some photos for now and I will add to it as we go along.

Nuremberg - Small city with a older part of town consisting of churches, squares and lots of sidewalk cafes (Europe is full of sidewalk cafes whichever country I have been to, perhaps the weather is really condusive)

1. Church in Nuremberg (So many churches throughout the trip I lost count)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Fruit stalls in the square

3. Olives and pickles of all kind

4. German sausage (more bite and taste than those at home, yummy) It's about 2.50 Euros for 1 big sauage with bun, 3 small sausages with bun, or big burger (in the pan with the tong) with bun. Onion with ketchup or mustard to taste.

5. The infamous Neuschwanstein Castle by (mad) King Ludwig II - supposedly inspired Walt Disney to build that castle in Disneyland. Looks magnificent from near or far.

6. Further down the hill, we have the Hohenswangau Castle (King Ludwig II's father's castle, where the mad king grew up). This is the view from the Neuschwanstein Castle.

7. And the view from the foothill .......

8. In Prague (Hungary), there's more historic buildings and churches. Very gothic. (Sorry I crudely added in the sky for this one as the sky was whiter than snow on that day)

9. Stained glass window inside the church. Needless to say, it was dim inside. No tripod was allowed. I swapped lens to a 50mm f/1.8. It's full house inside and with the crowd jostling, I surprised myself by being able to get any shot at all.

10. Presidential Palace of Czech Republic. (Czech Republic used to be a part of Czechoslovakia. It's now split into 2 countries - Czech Republic and Slovakia)

11. The Presidential Palace guarded by fine looking young man.

12. The famous Duck & Dumpling of Prague (so I was told) and dark beer (their beer is so smooth and full bodied). I find the duck rather dry. I would have preferred it with some sauce. (no ketchup please)

That's a dozen pictures for now. I hope you enjoyed them and I will post more in the near future. cheers.

Alan

Very nice, Alan; thanks for posting. You were very lucky at King Ludwig's castles. We had dark clouds, and Neuschwanstein was wrapped up in scaffolding for refurbishment when we were there two years ago.

(Minor quibble: many of these look oversharpened on my monitor.)

These are awesome!

I need to travel to eastern europe. The shots of the castles are amazing.
Though I do feel like making a joke about soviet-era czechoslovakia.
:)

Great shots, Alan! Especially the castle pics from Bavaria are beautiful...

PS: May I remark that Germany is not a part of Eastern Europe... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice set, any more of the town square in Prague, e.g. the clock?

spectacular day for the castles in Germany...

As requested, firstly, this is a 270 degree panoramic view of the Old Town Square where the clock tower is (sorry for stating the obvious)

Then, a closer view of the clock tower,

Lastly, a closer look at the only working astronomical clock in the world (built in 1410)

We then arrived in Budapest, Hungary. Budapest consist of 2 cities (Buda and Pest) divided by the river Danube.

On your left is Buda (on the hills) and on your right is Pest.

Another panoramic view of Budapest. (the actual file has a resolution of 28 thousand pixels on the long side)

One of the most majestic building in budapest has to be the Hungarian Parliament House. This is shot from the hills..

This is another shot from the cruise along the Danube River .

And another panoramic shot of the same building but from inland (opposite direction from the 2 earlier shots)

:smile:

Very nice, Alan; thanks for posting. You were very lucky at King Ludwig's castles. We had dark clouds, and Neuschwanstein was wrapped up in scaffolding for refurbishment when we were there two years ago.

(Minor quibble: many of these look oversharpened on my monitor.)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Travelling thousands of miles only to find it all wrapped up. I guess life is sometimes like that. :confused:

Thanks for the feedback on the oversharpening. I still haven't found the fine line on how much to sharpen. Perhaps practise will make it better but your feedback is really helpful.

:smile: alan

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom