Recent visit to a local park with FG and F4S.

These pics are from a recent visit to a local park.

Taken with Nikon FG, 50mm f1.8 Series E, Ilford XP2 400.

Verona Park Boathouse.
BaotHouse0049.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BoatHouse0050%20copy.jpg

BoatHouse0051.jpg

Out building.
ParkHouse0042.jpg

Spillway.
SpillWay0056%20copy1.jpg

And one in color from the F4S, 180mm f2.8D, Kodak MAX 100.

Verona Park Spillway.
img536.jpg

Ray,

Thanks for sharing. Its seems that the B&W has been over-exposed, mostly by the presence of lots of grain. Usually C-41 B&W is quite 'grain-free'.

Thanks, this was my first time with this film and I was not quite sure. That is why I posted them. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, and I appreciate it. The film was 9+ years old, and was given to me. I will purchase a couple new rolls and shoot it with both my FG and F4S and shoot some more. Thanks again!

Another shot.

Boathouse0038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being 9-year-old film explains the 'look'. One rule of thumb when shooting very expired film, anything more than 2 or 3 years out of date, is to pull the film. Example, if you have expired 200ASA film, then you set the meter of your camera for 100ASA and then you have the lab pull-process the film by 1 stop as well. Since this requires a pro-lab to pull-process C-41, this is often not feasible for everyone. I have been able to salvage very old, 10+ years, by doing this and getting some really interesting 'looks' from film.

I have a stash of Ektapress 1600 that is about 15 years old, which I pull 2 stops for a very vintage, old look when needed.

Thanks, that is good to know. I have another roll of Ilford, plus a couple of rolls of Fuji Supera HG 1600 and 800 given to me also. I found a local lab that does E6 and C41 processing and will do custom jobs.

I visited Sydney back in 1986. But spent most of my time in Australia on this intertidal rock platform at Pearl Beach.

img189.jpg

I was also able to get this snap of a Goanna hiding from a Kookaburra on the shady side of a tree. This was at the Crommelin Biological Field Station

img564.jpg

Real Name
Chris
... The film was 9+ years old ...
Whew! Yeah! Thanks for explaining that. I was having a hellofa time figuring out how XP2 could be overdeveloped! Because your blacks (for the most part) are too deep as well as the highlights being blocked. Lynn has it right - back off on the ASA dial, and you will be able to tame the contrast.

How do you like your FG? I started shooting with one last year, and it really grows on me.

How do you like your FG? I started shooting with one last year, and it really grows on me.

I like it a lot. It is so much lighter then the F4S. I actually use the MD-14 to give it some bulk. But it is nice to use it without the motordrive, when I want to keep it light. I purchased it new sometime in the 1980s. The FG was kind of maligned back then, but I liked it. This past year I started shooting again. I replaced the light seals and mirror damper. It works like new. I use manual or aperture priority with it and the batteries last forever.

Thanks for the tips. There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here. I am glad I stumbled in. There is so much for me to learn.

Ray, it would probably be less expensive to just buy some fresh film and get it developed in drugstore rather than pay for custom processing of outdated film.

Agreed. I will get some fresh rolls of the Ilford XP2 Super 400. It's good to know how to deal with the outdated stuff, if I ever want to experiment with it. I plan on getting some Tri-X 400 also.

Ray & Ray...

I agree that it would be cheaper to buy new film than to pay for custom development. But if you have any amount of this old film, hang-on to it. You now know the 'look' the film renders, so use it where and when you want that look. You have the choice of shooting and processing the film as-is or pulled.

I often buy large stashes of expired film really cheap, shoot a few rolls to learn the character of the film then toss it into the freezer. I use it as I want it.

As mentioned I have 20 or rolls of 15 year old Ektapress 1600(its way off the charts!), 40 or so rolls of 5 year old Konica 100, had bought almost 100 rolls of 4 year old Kodacolor 100 & 200 and had 50 rolls of Agfa HDC 100. I paid an average price of $.50 per roll, and have some really cool stuff. Just needed to learn how, where and when to use it.

And glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Sydney. Hope you come back again soon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom