rechargable AA batteries

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by dmwphoto, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Please tell me the brand charger and type batteries that are prefferred. I am tired of going thru AA batteries this quickly in my SB-800.
    How many do you typically sharge and have ready at any given time?
    Dave

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I use Monster 1800's in a Monster charger.
    I have used other brands with higher mAh ratings, but I have found these are the best for me.
    I use 5 batteries at a time in my SB800 so I have 5 sets of batteries and 2 chargers. I try to make sure that I always have at least 1 extra set charged at all times.
    I wouldn't suggest using a different brand charger with your batteries, I did once and it started smoking and burned up one of the batteries. I sure was glad I was home and awake when that happened.

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Dave,

I have one spare set of 4 batteries with me, but only if I know I'll be shooting lots of flash.

It's important to get the high Ampere ones: I have a set of 2400 mAh, another one with 2100 mAh (those are the spares). I hardly ever need to pull out the spares. Use a brand name battery - forget the cheapos.

Now you can get 2500 or even 2600 mAh AA batteries. Get a good charger with it. I use a Vivanco CAR 23AAX which comes with a cigarette lighter adapter to use in a car, in addition to regular power cord. It charges very quickly.

By the way, flash recharge with those stronger batteries is also much faster (well, it depends on what you are using now).

Edit: looks like the other Dave was faster :)

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Maha

I don't think you can go wrong with Maha brand batteries and charger.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Maha batteries are the best, and hold the most juice, and Thomas Distributing is a fantastic source.
    If you want to buy some gently used rechargeable batteries, I sold a bunch of flashes and have a TON of them sitting on my desk, PM me and I will make you a deal.

6. thanks for all the good information! very quick responses. I have PM'd Twig, but hope to make an order of some type this evening. looking at all the suggestions now.
    dave