1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rechargeable AAs - Mah??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vinman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Just wondering what the consensus is here. I've been using lithiums since they became widely available years ago, and as my current stock runs out, I'll be replacing with NiMHs.

I'm seeing as high as 2900Mah AAs available, with Duracell 2650s on sale locally. Seems there is a pretty big variance in chargers, as well - with some of the more techy ones claiming to improve the overall life of the battery.

Right now, I'm looking at ordering a dozen Delkin 2900Mah batteries ($12.97/4) and a good charger with both a fast charge mode and a normal maintenance charge cycle (Maha MHC401FS). I may order two since they can only charge up to four simultaneously.

Any problem using higher Mah batteries in D200/300/D3, SB800, etc?

2. I use the c9000 charger myself, but the higher Mah batts work great for speedlights.

Sean

3. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    My SB600 had trouble with Duracell 2500 but worked fine with 2100.

4. TCandle

TCandle

May 10, 2008
    North Texas
    I use the PowerEx 2700s with the MAHA MH-C801D. The charger holds up to 8 AA batteries and also recharges AAA batteries. Reconditions the batteries too.

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    What sort of trouble?

Do higher Mah's (2600-2900) work well in bodies? Any reason not to use them?

6. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Hey Vinman, I also use the MAHA Powerex batteries 2700 mah. Very happy with them.

Check out Thomas Distributing I think it is, they have the best prices on these batteries. Also look around the site, if you spend $x you get free stuff.

Take care, Larz

PS. Be careful with the batteries in your speedlight, they get hot depending on how you shoot. I burned up an SB-800 with only 125 photos. Now I try to be careful, open the battery case up and cool them down or replace them with fresh batteries so they have time to cool down.

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Thanks, Larz. Thomas Dist is where I found the 2900s.
    That bit about burning up a SB800 scares me a little, though! Were you just blazing away rapid fire? What happened?!

8. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I was shooting quick, about 125 photos in maybe 20-30 minutes.

If you have the flash on camera, shoot for a but and then feel the batteries. If they are hot to the touch be careful.
    I open the compartment and pull the batteries part way out and blow on them to cool them down when I have a minute. If they get real hot and I don't have time to let them cool, I will replace them with a fresh set, this way there is no worry.

I recently bough more batteries so I have about 50 all together for the 3-SB-800's I have.

In addition, it cost about $125 to have the flash fixed.

9. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    At first the 2500 worked OK but at one point it caused my SB600 is completely freeze with the light on. I thought it was broken until I tried my other set of batteries. The 2500 still worked fine in other electronics but to this day will cause the flash to freeze.

10. I've used the CTA 2700 mah batteries and have been happy with them. I may try the MAHA Powerex's next...

I too have fried an Sb800 or two...with rechargeable batteries and a Quantum turbo...about 100 shots in less than ten minutes... :biggrin:

11. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    I have and love the Maha 401 charger. I generally almost always slow charge the batteries, and have multiple sets of Energizer 2300 and Duracell's still going strong after three years of use in my flash units and a Canon p&s camera.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  12. From what i've read, the shorter the time it takes for a battery to recharge (like the 15-minuet ones) The harsher it is on the batteries, and they wont last as long. I have the 1.5 hour recharger and just have a ton of batteries on reserve. This way, i dont need to be cycling the batteries through a harsh charger so often.

13. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    James you are right about this. They also get hot when they charge quickly.
    I use the MAHA C801D charger. It holds 8 batteries and charges in 1 hour, it also has a slow charge feature that is better for the batteries.

Take care, Larz

14. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    I use Sanyo Enloops with a Maha 801 charger for my SB800. Although the Enloops are a lower Mah, they last a good long time, and they do not self discharge like a normal NiMH batteries.

15. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    Heat is always the enemy of batteries. I bought some Panasonic 2100 and 2300 batteries, about two years ago from Costco, for use in a P&S and my SB600 and have not had any problems.

16. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I was under the impression that most of the newer NiMH batteries were very slow to self discharge. My thinking was, if I got two and a half sets (around 40 batteries), I'd always have a set ready to go (two cameras and an sb800) plus a few extras on hand. I'm not a pro, so two el3s in my 200 grip usually last at least a week of pretty vigorous shooting. Ive been using lithiums exclusively in the flash, so I've only gone through three sets of five in about two months - bear in mind that usually I use the flash on shoots where it gets used a lot over two or three hours, then it may not get used again for a week or two.

Based on why I'm seeing ony the back of the new SB900, that'll likely be my next flash, relegating the 800 to wireless mode almost exclusively. Maybe it'll behave better with really high Mah batteries (2800+)...

17. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Vin, that should be enough batteries, and if not just get more. I always recharge them after a shoot, even if I only fire the flash a few times. When I need them I want to be sure they are fully charged.

The SB-900 looks insane but it also has an insane sticker price of $575.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.