rechargeable batteries quaestion

i use energizer lithium in my SB-400 and would like to know if rechargeable batteries would work just as good. or better and cheaper. and which rechargeable batteries are the best ones to use

Yes, rechargeables will work just as good as Energizers and they may even help with your recycling time, but I'm not absolutely sure about the latter with the SB-400. I use Sanyo eneloops because they are readily available in Japan, and they don't lose their charge as quickly as others. There are some other similar options out there, however.

Get yourself some Ni-MH batteries like the Sony CycleEnergy or Sanyo eneloops, you'll be very happy with either brand I use both brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Costco has the Eneloops at a very nice price for 8xAA's and a charger plus it comes with some AAA's and adapters. Bargain price if you're looking to buy into some rechargables...

Guest-004

I've bought a bunch of rechargable, you definitly need to get NiMH, and make sure you get the highest mAh rating possible, it makes the recycle time faster. I have 2650 and 2700's and they are great, I've used digipower, energizer, and duracell all with great results. The important thing is the mAh rating, which costs more, but is worth it if you need good recycle time.

I shopped for rechargables recently. Eneloops at Costco were (by far) the best price I found -- FYI if there's one near you.

W

Wileec

One important thing to consider is your use. If you shoot with flash only occasionally, then the investment in rechargeable batteries may not be worth it, when you figure a few sets plus a good charger. While the technology has certainly improved, when they sit, they loose power at a greater rate than alkaline batteries. So, if you use your flash only occasionally, then I would suggest sticking with good alkaline batteries. You'll waste more time and energy charging and recharging (that's lost to sitting, not use) than you'll gain by going to rechargeable batteries. They can be great - but it depends on your use. In my experience you should be using them regularly, for chunks of time, before making the investment.

At one point I had a camera that would use NiMH batteries and I have four or five sets plus a good charger. Wasn't cheap, but it was the way to go and worked well for me. When I was shooting and out of power - I would pop in a new set - then recharge at the end of the day.

Costco has the Eneloops at a very nice price for 8xAA's and a charger plus it comes with some AAA's and adapters. Bargain price if you're looking to buy into some rechargables...

I shopped for rechargables recently. Eneloops at Costco were (by far) the best price I found -- FYI if there's one near you.

I'll third this good deal. I pack the charger for travel and use a Maha C-9000 for normal home duty. I also use Energizer rechargeables along with a couple of sets of Sanyo 2700's that are starting to die out.

Powerex / Maha's - love them and have sets for all of my speedlights. Just bought a set of 8 eneloops to try them out but so far no regrets with the Maha's.

For NiMH batteries consider low self discharge, especially if you don't use them frequently. Sanyo eneloops and other brands have low self discharge batteries. You charge them, leave them on the self and they still have a large amount of capacity a month or two later. Normal NiMH batteries will drain much faster. See www.thomasdistributing.com or www.candlepowerforums.com. I have no association with thomas - just a happy customer.

For NiMH batteries consider low self discharge, especially if you don't use them frequently. Sanyo eneloops and other brands have low self discharge batteries. You charge them, leave them on the self and they still have a large amount of capacity a month or two later. Normal NiMH batteries will drain much faster. See www.thomasdistributing.com or www.candlepowerforums.com. I have no association with thomas - just a happy customer.

Thomas is great, I had originally bought the MH-C904(?) because the C-9000 (but I had on order) was not out yet and LaCrosse was going their v1 issues and within 30 days they allowed me to return the 904, great service!

candlepower is great, those guys don't mess around, be ready to read more than you never ever wanted to know about batteries and flashlights.

One important thing to consider is your use. If you shoot with flash only occasionally, then the investment in rechargeable batteries may not be worth it, when you figure a few sets plus a good charger. While the technology has certainly improved, when they sit, they loose power at a greater rate than alkaline batteries. So, if you use your flash only occasionally, then I would suggest sticking with good alkaline batteries. You'll waste more time and energy charging and recharging (that's lost to sitting, not use) than you'll gain by going to rechargeable batteries. They can be great - but it depends on your use. In my experience you should be using them regularly, for chunks of time, before making the investment.

At one point I had a camera that would use NiMH batteries and I have four or five sets plus a good charger. Wasn't cheap, but it was the way to go and worked well for me. When I was shooting and out of power - I would pop in a new set - then recharge at the end of the day.

I agree, high volume users would benefit from re- chargeable but occasional users AA better. Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom