Recital Room Practice Today (5 pics)

Discussion in 'People' started by cajun angel, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Okay, just tell me which # ya'll like best. That one will be printed tomorrow to go in the frame for Sunday. I know I really gotta watch my composition and glare on glasses. I hope these are an improvement from the last batch! Oh, the backdrop will be steamed for Sunday. I hope one of these will pass! So, please don't hesitate to say something!

Lens 50mm F1.8 1/60 sec F4 ISO 400 WB auto
    475009992_a11594a762_b.

View attachment 92686

View attachment 92687

View attachment 92688

View attachment 92689

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    These are much better!! I'd go so far as to say #1 is very usable!:biggrin:

How was your WB set for that shot?

If you find that you just can't get the lights situated to eliminate the glare on the glasses remember that you can fix this in post with the clone/healing tools as a last resort, but going forward you want to always try to eliminate having to fix things in post whenever possible. When you have tons of photo's to edit the time spent on things like this really adds up.

How many folks are you shooting?

Try to take the time to do what you have done here which is to take 5-10 pic's per person so you have plenty to choose from.

Ideally I'd try to get 10-20 per person if time allows.

Remember to have your subjects keep their chins down.....another reason why image #1 is the best of this group.

Looks like you will do just fine Dianne.

3. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    The first for me too. It shouldn't be too difficult to clone out the glare in the glasses.

4. Wow Dianne, way to go!!
    I won't repeat Stuart's comments, they are spot-on. I would add one thing: be sure that you have people with glasses push them up. Often glasses slip down the nose and you don't notice until you see your image - too late then.

5. Mariam looks so grown up all of a sudden! :smile:

That first shot is the best, most definitely. Only additional thing I'd want to be careful about is the positioning of the instruments, and it looks like you're addressing that.... The white balance is significantly better here. I'm wondering if it is because in the recital room you've got windows and natural lighting, whereas in the hallway it is all artificial lighting?

You've made some great progress here!

6. Well I don't think it's gonna be more than 13 kids and I even thought about bracketing. I'm not even sure that everyone will want photos. I'm just gonna take it as it comes. I can't help but have a higher respect for ya'll that do this for a living! It takes soooooo much and so many details!

Thanks! That's my next step!

Thanks a million Frits! I can't help but be happy with the results! I'll be taking my time on Sunday like I did today - that's what I gotta learn - not get into a rush!
    Actually Connie there were no windows! I kinda combined tips from Frits, Stuart, and my friend Jim into 1 and voila! I still used my Gary Fong Sphere! I'm quite happy with the way things went today. Now to learn how to use my software for the final touchups before putting them on a CD for Wolf. I took a total of 21 shots today. I used my 50mm and my VR lens. I experimented with WB and my ISO more. I'm just too happy for words!

7. OK, then, so you were able to get a good grip on the WB problem today if there wasn't a difference between the hallway and the recital room when it comes to windows and natural lighting. Excellent!

Yep, try to relax and have fun with the kids -- that will help them to relax, too, resulting in excellent images -- and take your time. Take your time!

The software and learning what you need to know for this project may take a little more work but with your books and advice from people here I'm sure you'll do just fine with that, too.

Amazing what practice can do, eh? You've made some great strides between your first shooting session and today's session! :smile:

8. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Dianne, you have made such great progress! They look SO much better. You are going to do fine. Just take a deep breath and take your time with each one. I agree with the others. I think #1 is the best. And you've gotten some great advice from everyone. So, the only thing I will add is have confidence and know that you can do this. I can't wait to see the results!

9. Thanks Sharon! Here's the finished portrait!

475112006_6dfc23296e_b.

10. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    It looks very nice!

11. Nice work, Dianne!

12. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Great work in editing!!! You're getting the hang of this just fine!!

13. Thanks ya'll! I couldn't have done it without Frank calling me and walking me through it! I've been too busy reading the books instead of playing with it!