Reckless in Istanbul

In my younger and more foolish days, my missus and I often traveled at short notice without making plans. We got a thrill from arriving in a new city armed only with the Lonely Planet Guidebook and making our way on the hoof. I remember a long night in Chennai Airport in India waiting for day break to start looking for somewhere to stay having decided to fly there that same day.

Arriving in Istanbul, this time even without the Lonely Planet this time, we asked a taxi driver at the airport to take us to a decent hotel in the tourist area. Typically a bad idea but we figured if we didn't like what we saw, we would just walk around until we found something.

Anyway, he dropped us off at this place (ignore the random exotic lady in the shot):
AB-3-GB_ON1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It was literally just called "Hotel and Restaurant" and did not have a proper name. Someone must have realised this was strange and they kind of tried to call it the "And Hotel" which was quite bizarre.
AB-3-LG_ON1.jpg

I asked to see the rooms first and while basic, they where ok and as cheap as chips. Best still was that the sign in front was not exaggerating ... it had a killer view of Istanbul.

Out of our balcony, you could see the Hagia Sophia on the right:
D200 @ ISO 100
AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm @ 20mm
1/64 @ f/8
ON1PhotoRAW
AB-3-KP_ON1.jpg

and the Blue Mosque on the left:
D200 @ ISO 100
AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm @ 56mm
1/5 @ f/8
ON1PhotoRAW
AB-3-KU_ON1.jpg

With the passage of time, I no longer indulge in such recklessness.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I loved our time in Istanbul! Those view are incredible!!!! Love your images of Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque! Very nicely captured and processed!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I loved Istanbul; what a city! Love your photos and the story. Never heard of the And Hotel, but you're right - that's a killer view!

Thanks @Butlerkid, @Palouse & @JusPlainCrayzee!

It was a great to luck in on a great place to stay. Had a few such nice lucky experiences on such trips ... Chennai, India (Ended up in a grand colonial era establishment where they still served afternoon tea) ... Paphos, Cyprus (Stumbled into a brilliant tiny indie hotel) ... and Venice, Italy (lucked in on a 3 room, family run B&B in a former Doge's Palace no less. Had an amazing fresco on the bedroom ceiling) but certainly an approach only for the young, foolish and unencumbered.

I just checked and see the And Hotel now has a website and that the rooms have since been upgraded. I am sure they are no longer as cheap!

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
amazing shots especially considering that was your view
is the name The And Hotel ?

How sad you don't do this anymore, I hope your health is still good.
I don't think I will ever indulge into another method of travelling. The only difference is that I get a rental car ASAP wherever I go.
My travelling is now reduced to Central America for financial reasons, but I still just go where I like. Nothing like a bus trip to Nicaragua with all the normal folks, get out and find bed just asking in the nearest pulperia.
But I have have been planning for a long time to go and sell a Land Rover in Canada so this will be an epic trip

Latest threads

Top Bottom