recommend a 22" widescreen LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by fks, Mar 30, 2007.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    in an effort to reduce space and energy consumption, i've decided to get a 22" widescreen LCD monitor as my main photo editing monitor to replace my old 21" dell CRT. i'm looking for some recommendations from the cafe. my budget is around $400, but of course the cheaper the better :biggrin:

what make and model do you have and how do you find the image quality?

thanks in advance,

ricky

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

no way at that price point. LCDs capable of good image quality for image mashers start at about $1000. My 21" LaCie 321 LCD cost $1500 but its terrific.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike-

ack, that's way more than i want to spend lol! i guess i need to scale down the size or my expectations.

ricky

4. Unfortunately, in that price range, you're probably going to end up with a gaming monitor, which places more emphasis on pixel response. The fastest ones at this time are TN Film based, which don't give the best colour rendition.

If you move down to the 20", you could possibly snag a Dell 2007WFP (make sure you get a good one) which would give you decent IQ. Viewsonic looks to be constantly shifting between different MVA panels so it's kind of a crap shoot as to if you get a P-MVA or not.

Acer's AL2032WA uses either a P-MVA or S-IPS. Both are pretty good given the price.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=572666371

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jimmy-

thanks for the recommendations. i guess i'll have to raise my budget my a couple of hundred.

ricky

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
  7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    If you are still looking in June (?) - or better put, the day Leopard Mac OS releases, I'll be selling one of our Sony 23" pro monitors. My wife wants an imac, and wants to wait for the new OS. This is NOT the Sony sold at CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. I replaced mine with 2) 30" mac Cinemas; she wants an imac. I'm keeping the Sony; she plans to sell hers.

PM me if interested once we have a Leopard release date.

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike-

thanks for the link. looks like my old dell with the trinitron tube is still a good deal. so much for the idea of saving electricity and desk space :frown:

ricky

9. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen is getting a lot of raves at the moment. Do a search. Reasonably priced too. Yes, it's TN based and no you don't get Eizo quality but it surely is better than the Viewsonics or Dells. :smile:

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi john-

thanks! PM sent.

hi jason-

thanks for the recommendation, i'll take a look at the samsung. i have a friend who works at samsung, and he says he can get a discount on their monitors, but the models keep changing. i'll ask him to look for this one.

ricky

11. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Make sure you get the 226BW and not the older 225BW. The 226BW comes in two flavours. Ask your friend to look for the LCD that has the model number end with an S and not A. The S is supposedly better. If I'm not wrong, you can only see this when you open the box as this info is only stated at the back of the LCD panel. :frown:

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Personally I have a Chimei 22" LCD sitting on my desk. I picked it up from Microcenter for $259 and it's been a great monitor. I can't wait to pick up a desktop though with a DVI port to pair it with as the DVI connection gives you such a clearer and better picture on an LCD (at least it does on the 2 I have connected to my computer here at work, one on DVI and one on VGA).