1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recommend A Lens for Me, Please

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by antsplan, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hi all, I primarily like to shoot landscape/seascape scenes and find myself reaching for the Wigma (Sigma 10-20mm) an awful lot. Its a great lens for the money but obviously has its limitations and well documented issues.

I currently use a D300 but do plan in the future to go full frame although not certain which body that will be, by the time I have the cash.

Right now I wish to add best quality glass to my collection but with any eye on the ability to use that glass with a full frame sensor.

The obvious choice to me seems to be the 14-24mm but I understand that filters are a no go with this and I'm afraid this rules this lens out for me (i almost always use ND Grad's, etc).

So what other pro-spec lens should I consider ? I'd prefer to stay on brand (Nikon) but am open to suggestions for third party lenses.

I currently own:

Sigma 10-20mm
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Sigma 24-70mm f2.8
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
    Nikon 70-300mm VR

So given that list what lens would you recommend for my landscape shots ?

If I can't afford it just now, I'll wait until I can so budget is not an issue, I want the 'right' lens.

I will also be replacing the Sigma 24-70 at some point for the Nikon equiv but i'm afraid that long primes are down my list of priorities for now.

Thanks for any advice.

Anthony

2. I'm hanging on to my Nikon 17-35 for the exact issues that you've outlined. It works great on DX (occasionally not wide enough so I have the 12-24), but it will do everything I want on FX. Unfortunately its no longer made but they are around.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    17-35mm would be my immediate suggestion as well, I thought they were still in production but Ted (above) may be correct. In which case there are always a fair few on ebay.

If that's too expensive the older 20-35mm may do.

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I hung onto my 17-35mm from my film days when I switched over to digital with the expectation that one day I would be able to use this wonderful lens on a full-frame digital.

That day came some months ago when I purchased my D3. Am I ever glad that I didn't sell it!

Like you Anthony, the 14-24mm doesn't work for me because of the filter issue. While I wish I had the extra 3mm, the 17-35mm will do just fine until Nikon comes along with a wider lens that I can use.

BTW, you know that Sigma's 12-24mm works with FF digitals. But I'm not sure about its quality or characteristics.

5. Anyone thinking of giving you advice should look at your gallery first. You're quite a craftsman.

As you noted, the weak link in your lens kit is the Sigma 24-70. If you replaced it with the Nikon 24-70 (or 28-70) and moved to an FX body, you wouldn't need much else.

6. Ted/Robert/Adam - thanks sincerely for your input, I'll certainly have a look about for this lens, although I have never purchased second hand before so this does worry me a little.

It's quite frustrating as I was hoping for a list of lenses that I could look at but it really does seem that there are no current offerings that fit the bill for my requirements. Although a 14mm prime may be a consideration ?!?!?!?

Frank, thanks for your kind words. You know what I may just plump for the Nikon 24-70 this time around and live with the 10-20mm for a while longer.

Does anyone know if the 'beast' is due a refresh ? It'd just be my luck to buy one and Nikon go and announce a new super duper version.

Thanks again guys.

7. The Beast is the 28-70/2.8. the refreshed super duper version is the 24-70/2.8.

8. Anthony,

Many have purchased used lenses on this forum without regrets (I am one)....I would definitely keep that as an option. Also, keh.com has gotten good reviews by almost all (including me) for accurately spec'd lenses (referring to their condition). And they do have 17-35mm lenses available.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

9. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    You got a lot of bases covered already. I suggest getting a fast prime like a Nikkor 35 1.4 AIS. Or maby a 50 1.2 AIS. Get somthing to blast out the back ground. . Or go the other way and grab a fisheye and get everything in focus.

"experience to extremes"

Gregory

10. TEWKES

TEWKES

Aug 18, 2008
    Canada
    I would suggest the 17-35- fits in well with your current collection.

Cheers,
    Mark

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.